Go Down

Topic: Metal imaging system (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

Boffin1

A  CD4051 is the bog standard analog multiplexer such as in the patent circuit.
With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

Grumpy_Mike

Just hook up one coil or one hall effect sensor and get a feel for how it works. I think you will be disappointed at the range if you can get anything out of the set up at all.
Yes I have worked with eddy current flaw detectors for tubes, those coils are huge and the current was large.l I am talking about 40A coil current with a range of a few mm.

Boffin1

I made a Proton precession magnetometer some years back, before the days of Arduino, when micros were black magic.

They are a lot of work to make, but evidently have a good range. 

I dont think you could have an array of them, but you could use a single one to scan a surface ( mine was to scan a beach for treasure shipwreck, but they found the wreck before I finsihed my project, so I dumped it )
With my mobile phone I can call people and talk to them -  how smart can you get ?

winner10920

At what kind of speed do you want to get your results? You may be better off getting multiple channel external adc's and use spi,  then you'll be able to sample faster and do other things while the adcs sample,

aaronadams3

My biggest problem is how to plug hundreds of sensors into the arduino.  I'm imagining soldering wires from the sensors to a bunch of different ribbon tapes and then feeding those into 8/1 multiplexers.  That's not enough sensors, so then I feed those into sub-multiplexers?  There has got to be a better way.

Go Up