Go Down

Topic: Using optical (laser not LED) mice to measure distance and speed of robot (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I was wondering the feasibility of using 2 optical laser mice (taken apart), mounted close to the left and right wheels of a robot, facing down to gather info on distance and speed.

I could then measure any deviation in speed/distance for the left and right wheels/motors.

One problem I see is that the mouse has to be very close to the surface to track movement.  Not sure if I could adjust the focus on the laser, etc... to have it track movement from a greater height.

Any thoughts or suggestions welcome,

A search for "optical flow sensor" will give you the info you're looking for. There seem to be a great deal of sensor chips out on the market so anticipate problems finding examples for your specific chip.

I've seen a few projects where the user linked an optical sensor to a quadcopter for position stability, so yes what you're describing does make sense.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131