Go Down

Topic: Detecting "Physical" Resistance from Stepper Motor (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

arsene2conde

Hey guys,

Thanks for the advice. I will look at your forum sbright33.  Good call on the microswitch Boffin1, I did not know a garage door opener had this included...I just thought it was the light detector and would turn off automatically if it sensed anything on its path.
I will look into that.

Thanks guys!

arsene2conde

So I always wondered how a CD/ROM tray on a desktop computer worked.  When the user pushes on an open tray, the tray closes automatically.  On the other hand, if you introduce resistance to the tray when trying to open, it stops and some clse again when detecting resistance (such as the CD being stock or the user's hand).
This is EXACTLY what I need for my project. Does anyone know how this mechanism works? is it part of the program or is it a mechanical system?

If anyone knows how it works, it will be greatlt beneficial.  I believe the tray openers operate with Stepper motors as well.

Thank you!

sbright33

It feels very similar to a CD-ROM tray when you test it.  PeterH you're mistaken, it does exactly that with the specific hardware I mention in the link.  The code is on Gist, the discussion here:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,85335.45.html

If you fall... I'll be there for you!
-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

PeterH

Unless your stepper motor deliberately provides a torque output, I doubt that it will be possible to determine torque just from the stepper drive side.

PeterH you're mistaken, it does exactly that with the specific hardware I mention in the link.  The code is on Gist, the discussion here:

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,85335.45.html

How then do you measure torque?
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

sbright33

I didn't mean to imply you can measure torque accurately.  And I don't understand how it works.  It just does.  You can detect when torque changes.  Very small changes if you want by calibrating the code.  Just hook any 1 stepper coil to analog input on Arduino with an arbitrary resistor to protect it.
If you fall... I'll be there for you!
-Floor

Skype Brighteyes3333
(262) 696-9619

Go Up