Go Down

Topic: Burning boot loader - observation (Read 505 times) previous topic - next topic

AverageGuy

Somewhere recently I saw a comment to the effect that using IDE 1.0.? when you burn a boot loader to a 328, you had to call the board a Uno from then on even if it was a Duemilanove.  I was playing around burning boot loaders on some chips I had trashed (Ubuntu 10.04 seems to trash boot loaders, but that's a different story) when I discovered that statement was not correct.  I burned a  boot loader and found I still needed to call it a Duemilanove.  Then the next day I burned another one and found it wouldn't work unless I called it a Uno.  So I started playing.  Seems that you can govern the type of board the IDE thinks you have by changing the board by choosing it in the Tools/Board on the IDE before burning.  This may be obvious to everyone but it was news to me.  On the off chance I'm not the only clueless person here, I decided to share my observations.

Note, I'm using the usbtinyisp programmer and I only tried it with Uno vs Duemilanove on IDE 1.0.3.

Jim.

johnwasser

http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Bootloader

"Make sure you have the right item selected in the Tools | Board menu. Then, just launch the appropriate command from the Tools > Burn Bootloader menu of the Arduino environment."
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

AverageGuy

http://arduino.cc/en/Hacking/Bootloader

"Make sure you have the right item selected in the Tools | Board menu. Then, just launch the appropriate command from the Tools > Burn Bootloader menu of the Arduino environment."

Thanks, I figured it might be documented somewhere but I couldn't find it.

Jim.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy