Go Down

Topic: Mega2560 Skips over "For Loops" (Read 564 times) previous topic - next topic

I have been having issues with a much larger project that I've been trying to diagnose with strange outputs.  I finally have narrowed it down and I have realized that my Arduino is not recognizing "for loops."  It just skips right through them and performs no action.  So, to test my theory, I got rid of the entire program, and made this simple sketch....

int x;

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop()
{
  for (x=0; x > 5000; x++)
  {
    Serial.println(x);
    delay(200);
  }

}

The output of this sketch is absolutely nothing.  It skips over the for loop and does nothing.  So, I added a little line at the end of the sketch just to make sure there is serial communications.

Serial.Println("testing");

That is the last line before the end of the loop.  The output is a continuous stream of "testing" but it completely has skipped over the for loop.  I then thought I'd outsmart the software and do what I want to do inside of a do/while loop. 

So my new test sketch looked like...

int x;

void setup()
{
  Serial.begin(9600);
}

void loop()
{
  do
  {
    Serial.println(x);
    x++;
    delay(200);
  }while x<5000
Serial.println("testing");

}

The output from that sketch looks like this...

testing
testing
testing
testing....

That makes no sense.  It should stay in the do/while loop until it reaches 5000.  I have other parts of my program that use the do/while loop and they work normally.  Am I doing something wrong here?  This a very simple task and I'm even embarrassed to post this here because it is a very basic programming concept.  By the way, I have now tried this on two separate MEGA boards with the exact same results.  I upgraded my software tot he 1.0.2 with the same results.  I cannot complete my project without some sort of a loop, and this makes no sense to me.  Any insight would be much appreciated.

billroy

The test in the for loop is backwards.  The do-while loop specimen should have its conditional test in (parens).

-br

JimboZA

I think you have the >5000 the wrong way round..., should be <5000

Edit... just like br said  8)
"Could you do the egg bacon spam and sausage without the spam then? "

No PMs for help please.
DO NOT power servos from Arduino 5V: give them their own power and connect the grounds.

Ooops...

The lack of parentheses in the while statement was a simple typo.  I was hurrying when I typed this.  My sketch actually had it correctly.

Ugh...

I see my mistake in the for loop now.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I'm embarrassed that I have made such a simple mistake.  Stupid stupid stupid.  Excuse my retardation.

JimboZA

Dec 08, 2012, 07:16 pm Last Edit: Dec 08, 2012, 07:18 pm by JimboZA Reason: 1
But did you change the direction of the < vs > in the for?- remember that the block is only executed while the condition is true, so when you make it 0, and test to see if it's >5000, that's false so it leaps out straightaway.

Edit... we posted at the same time. Glad to help. The simplest mistakes are the hardest to spot!

No PMs for help please.
DO NOT power servos from Arduino 5V: give them their own power and connect the grounds.

No kidding... I'm embarrassed that I was stumped by such a simple thing.  I was thinking backwards the whole time and no matter how many times I looked at it, I kept telling myself... "Nope, that's right."  such a simple deal... ugh...

JimboZA

Can't beat Basic for this more "English" code:

Code: [Select]
FOR i = 1 TO 10
REM do stuff
NEXT

I've never been a C fan; that comes from having started on Fortran I suppose.

No PMs for help please.

retrolefty

Can't beat Basic for this more "English" code:

Code: [Select]
FOR i = 1 TO 10
REM do stuff
NEXT

I've never been a C fan; that comes from having started on Fortran I suppose.

But English is a terrible language to program computers with, just too vague and non-logical!  ;)

Lefty

JimboZA

.... for a Californian hippy maybe, Lefty  :P

No PMs for help please.

Osgeld

and for loops in basic become nightmarish if you have to embed two or 3 of them
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

retrolefty

.... for a Californian hippy maybe, Lefty  :P

Nah, all the hippies left in the 70s, only .com millionaires live here now.  ;)

Lefty

Go Up