Go Down

Topic: powering large robot (Read 852 times) previous topic - next topic

PeterH

the 2-10 amps would depend on what is running in the robot.

How you calculated the current doesn't matter from the point of view of the battery. What's important is how long the battery needs to sustain that current, and whether there are any other constraints. Do you care how heavy it is, or how big? Is your 'bot going to turn upside down or get bashed? Do you care how easy it is to recharge or how many times you can recharge it? How important is cost?
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

arduinoPi

-weight should not matter as long as the battery is under 45 pounds
-the robot will not turn upside down but will go at inclines at 30 degrees
-the robot might get bashed
-I want the battery to last many recharge cycles
- cost is not too important but cheaper is better
- I also don't care how long it charges even if it charges for 2 days thats fine.

PeterH

You didn't answer the most important question - how long does the 'bot need to be able to run for on a single charge?
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

arduinoPi

at least one hour. I would like 3 hours though but might stick to 1 hour based on cost of battery

PeterH

at least one hour. I would like 3 hours though but might stick to 1 hour based on cost of battery

Thirty amp-hours would be no problem for an ordinary cheap small lead-acid car battery. I doubt that you are going to hit it hard enough for physical damage to be a problem, as long as you don't have something literally attacking the case of the battery trying to break it.

Go Up