Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Mega 2560 randomly hanging  (Read 1918 times)
God Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

My test was on 1.0.1 and Mac OS/X.

Have you access to 1.0.2 version?

It would be interesting to find out whether this problem was introduced in 1.0.2 generally, or just in Windows 1.0.2.

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

I tried it on 1.0.2 on the Mac and it worked OK (no delay to speak of).

I tried then with 1.0.3 (the latest right now) on Windows XP and it still worked OK. Maybe a slight delay of around a second.

God Member
View Profile

I tried it on 1.0.2 on the Mac and it worked OK (no delay to speak of).

I tried then with 1.0.3 (the latest right now) on Windows XP and it still worked OK. Maybe a slight delay of around a second.

I will DL 1.0.3 and test with that. (I didn't realize 1.0.3 was out already.)

I'm getting ~5-6 seconds delay on all baud rate settings I've tested in the 1.0.2 Serial monitor except 57600 (which starts as expected. This is the case regardless of the baud rate setting in Serial.begin() in the sketch.)

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
Lua rocks!
View Profile

If you have another device, like a Uno, I would try the same sketch on that. That would tend to rule out either the board, or the serial monitor interface. It's also possible the software on the USB interface processor is different.

God Member
View Profile

If you have another device, like a Uno, I would try the same sketch on that. That would tend to rule out either the board, or the serial monitor interface. It's also possible the software on the USB interface processor is different.

I've tried the same sketch on an Uno, Leo, Mega1280, but the only one that has the delay is the Mega2560 (which I only noticed recently, after I'd reflashed the latest bootloader.) And the delay is only with the IDE Serial monitor, there is no delay under Putty, etc.

God Member
View Profile

I tested the Mega2560 w/ 1.0.3 under Windows, and same result -- about a 8-9sec delay between the reset and the sketch start (I was timing a bit more carefully), _except_ when the serial monitor window is set to 57600, in which case ther is no noticeable delay.

I also tested it under 0023, and same result, so that means it's consistent with 0023,1.0.2 and 1.0.3.

So the interaction problem seems to have been introduced with the new version of the Mega2560 bootloader, rather than in any recent version of the IDE itself (and as noted previously, the interaction only occurs with the IDE, as the delay isn't observable running Putty, etc.)

Update:

No observable delay with Mega2560 bootloader testing with 1.0.1 or 1.5.1r2 under Win 7 (64 bit).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 12:36:10 am by pico » Logged

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: