Go Down

Topic: Understanding Transistor (TIP120) Datasheet (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

For reference I'm using the following datasheet: http://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/TI/TIP120.pdf

I am going to use the TIP120 transistor as a switch to turn off and on a group of LEDs; however I'm getting confused on the research I'm doing and the datasheet.  When looking at the table on page 2 ,it states the hFE is a min of 1000.  However in Figure 2 (page 3) there is a graph of Base-Emitter Saturation Voltage and Collector-Emitter Saturation Voltage where it states Ic = 250*Ib (upper right corner of graph); this leads me to believe that the hFE is 250.   Which value do I use to calculate Ib, 1000 or 250 (Ib = Ic/hFE)?

Secondly, on Figure 2 (page 3) can I use that graph to determine the Vbe at a particular Ic?  The reason for asking is because I want to determine the resistance at the base I need (Rb = (Vin - Vbe)/Ib) and during my research it said that most Vbe is around 0.7V.  Looking at that graph the Vbe can be anywhere between 1.25V to 2.5V for the TIP120, so should I use that value to determine the Rb?

Any help is appreciated.

Vbe for a single transistor is typically one diode drop's worth of voltage, which is where the 0.7V comes from.
TIP120 however is 2 transistors in  a Darlington configuration with one transistor driving a 2nd transistor so that the source can supply less current and still achieve higher gain.
Since you are intending the TIP120 to be used as a switch, you will drive it hard enough to ensure it goes fully into saturation when turned on.
From Figure 2, the lowest Vbe(sat) is 1.25V.
So base resistor of (5v  - 1.25V)/20mA = 187.5 ohm, so use a 180 ohm resistor.
Actual collector current flow will then be determined by the current limit resistor used with the LEDs, typically seleceted for a max continuous current of 20mA max.
Designing & building electrical circuits for over 25 years.  Screw Shield for Mega/Due/Uno,  Bobuino with ATMega1284P, & other '328P & '1284P creations & offerings at  my website.

Thank you for the reply and information.  I didn't realize it was a Darlington configuration (even though it is clearly stated) and that is the reason the Vbe would not follow convention.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131