Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Is the GND pin required ?  (Read 380 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello forum , another issue for me ! First of all I want to know if it is safe to connect external 12V power at my power jack and have the usb cable connected too. I know it automatically chooses the power supply , but is it safe/recommended ?

My main issue, the GND pin of arduino has to be connected to the (-) of my power supply as well as the rest sensors/devices ? or the external power supply (-) is enough at the jack barrel ? the power supply of arduino is the same as the power supply of sensors/devices. Its a atx power supply. Thanks !

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

Hello forum , another issue for me ! First of all I want to know if it is safe to connect external 12V power at my power jack and have the usb cable connected too. I know it automatically chooses the power supply , but is it safe/recommended ?

Yes it's safe as designed.

My main issue, the GND pin of arduino has to be connected to the (-) of my power supply as well as the rest sensors/devices ? or the external power supply (-) is enough at the jack barrel ? the power supply of arduino is the same as the power supply of sensors/devices. Its a atx power supply. Thanks !

The three ground shield pins, the USB negative connector pin, and the shell side of the external power connector are all electrically tied together on the arduino board, if that answers your question. Any external components or modules you wire to the arduino that require a ground should wire to one of the arduino ground pins.
Lefty

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

The only time it's dangerous is when you don't do that!

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages...

View Profile

The only time it's dangerous is when you don't do that!

This means i have to wire GND pin to (-) , or it is happening automatically  when i insert the power jack as retrolefty said ? , No my wiring is as retrolefty said .

Thanks !

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

or it is happening automatically  when i insert the power jack as retrolefty said
Yes like retrolefty said.

If you are not going through the jack, say to the Vin, then you have to connect is separately like fungus said.

View Profile

or it is happening automatically  when i insert the power jack as retrolefty said
Yes like retrolefty said.

If you are not going through the jack, say to the Vin, then you have to connect is separately like fungus said.

Thank you all of you , i'll go with the jack !

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: