Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: How to choose a Li-Po battery, considerations....  (Read 92 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hello to everyone....i am experimenting a simple portable distance meter with arduino micro (that uses ultrasonic module HC SR04, and some simple buzzer and vibrator motor). Finished the "thinking" and prototyping part, i am in trouble with the external power for that project...what i can use ?

Some need:
- I want a external power that is independent from my AC source (because i have to carry it with me also in isolated places, without possibility to use AC power);
- I want an esternal power source that can give me abouth 1 day (12hours about) without change and charge battery, when i come home i can recharge it;
- I want an esternal power source that can be lightweight and not too big because i have to carry it with me;

Now, i have found Li-Po batteries....my project's consumption is about 80mA, so i need for 1day-use a battery of about 960mAh, 1000mAh so.
To consider exceptional use of more than 12hours, i choosed 2000mAh battery.
OK.

Now the problem.

The battery i found (2000mAh 7.4V 35C) can give me all i want, but i have some doubts...:
- Can i use a simple DC/DC step down converter to use this lipo directly injecting 5V power in arduino ? I have this DC-DC converter, and i want to bypass arduino voltage regulator for his heat dissipation...
- I found on internet that lipo batteries are very delicates and not loves scratches or shock...i have to close battery pack in a plastic box to avoid this?
- I will not use this project every day...if one day i use this only for about 1hour and later i use it after for example 2 days, lipo battery can be damage from not using?
- I read that lipo batteries must be NOT discharged on less than 30% (something like this) of total charge....when i use the battery in my project how i can check percentual? there is a self-protection against too battery discharge?
the battery i found is this:
http://www.ebay.it/itm/181460656935?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Can anyone help me? Please...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 03:48:36 am by giorgio90 » Logged

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I don't remember the brand, but there is an Arduino clone which is designed specifically to be powered by a LiPo battery and contains the charging circuit and battery protection logic. There are also shields available to add a similar capability to the standard Arduinos. You will still need to include some logic in your code to avoid over-discharging your LiPo. The LiPo and Arduino should be physically protected from knocks, excessive heat, dirt, vibration, moisture. How to do that would depend what environment they were to be used in.

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: