Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Homework Notifier!  (Read 878 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

In school, I really need to use my planner, but I don't, so I want to create a device to take a picture of the homework asignment, and email it to me!

The parts of it would be a camera, a big red button (I love big red buttons smiley-wink), and a Xbee (?) module to connect to the internet through my schools WiFi, and a clock (may run off of internet through Xbee) to tell what time it is and the class I'm in.

I have no experience with cameras or Xbees integrated into arduinos, so could I have some help?

Thanks!
SB

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

I have no experience with cameras or Xbees integrated into arduinos, so could I have some help?
Sure. Get a camera. Put a clock next to the homework assignment, and take the picture.

Forget about emailing it to yourself. Forget about trying to make an XBee connect to the school's Wifi. (It won't).

Feel free to replace the camera shutter button with a big red button.

View Profile

To much work smiley-wink

So it is too much trouble for it to be worth it?

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

What would the resulting device bring to the party that a plain camera doesn't?

You could get the Arduino to take a picture, if you chose the right camera. You could get the Arduino to then get the picture, a few bytes at a time, from the camera, and send them out again.

With a WiFi shield, you could, if you didn't mind waiting 1/2 an hour, send the picture to the server. You'd miss your next class, though.

The XBee is NOT a Wifi device, so you can't use it to connect to the school's WiFi.

You'd need appropriate code on the server to then e-mail you that picture.

Even with compatible hardware and permission to run scripts on the server, this is not a beginner project.

Grand Blanc, MI, USA
Faraday Member
CODE is a mass noun and should not be used in the plural or with an indefinite article.
View Profile

The parts of it would be a camera, a big red button (I love big red buttons smiley-wink), and a Xbee (?) module to connect to the internet through my schools WiFi, and a clock (may run off of internet through Xbee) to tell what time it is and the class I'm in.

Sounds a lot like a mobile phone to me. Perhaps this school requires them to be checked at the door. A lot of schools already have homework assignments online.

MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

View Profile

Ok. Thanks anyways!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: