Go Down

Topic: Esplora (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I just saw an article about the new Esplora product.  It looks quite fun, even with the severe I/O limitations of the design.  One thought for a future addition:  Why not integrate something like an XBee compatible interface, or allow that type of expansion?  I'm playing with an Arduino controlled quadcopter project right now, and have done a few other little radio control projects where I used an Arduino.  The Esplora could be an amazingly simple controller platform for some of those types of projects, with just a few tweaks to allow a bit more outside communications.

Just something to think about...

giantsfan3

+1 on the wireless capability -- perhaps this could be done via a TinkerKit attachable?
@Vrmithrax: What do you mean by severe I/O limitations? It does appear to have several pin outs -- just not in the Arduino shield format

MichaelMeissner

+1 on the wireless capability -- perhaps this could be done via a TinkerKit attachable?
@Vrmithrax: What do you mean by severe I/O limitations? It does appear to have several pin outs -- just not in the Arduino shield format

IIRC, it has 2 output and 2 input pins, not counting the LCD pins or the USB.  But evidently you can daisy chain some of the I/O with SPI.

I just mean that it's more of a limited proposition than a standard Arduino.  The I/O is kind of there, but it's all tied up in the built-in functions (buttons, joysticks, etc), other than the few available for use with Tinkerkits.  With a regular Arduino system, you have much more I/O options, plus the shield expansion capabilities.  That's what I mean by severe I/O limitations...

TheKitty

you can roll your own radio but I tend to agree it would be helpful if the designers could make it such that a usb connection is not the only power source. http://21stdigitalhome.blogspot.com/2013/01/wireless-arduino-esplora-controls.html

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy