Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Electronic Saxophone  (Read 2184 times)
Arduino rocks
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Can you place another microphone upstream in the sax, if you can it may be possible to use the upstream mic as a switch that turns on the sampling if it get a signal before the ed. you placed.  This is not foolproof but may be any easy method that work well enough.

Global Moderator
UK
Brattain Member
I don't think you connected the grounds, Dave.
View Profile

Why choose a microphone?
Surely you need something more like an anemometer?

"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

A microphone is the wrong sensor to use. You want to use a pressure sensor. You want to blow into a Leakey chamber, then the pressure will represent how hard you blow.

Cebu City
Hi im new to arduino!
View Profile

Did not think about using an anemometer or a pressure sensor, I thought about the microphone because it was the first thing that came into my mind. Thank you for the suggestions Sir Grumpy_Mike and Sir AWOL. Thank you also wwbrown You guys have been a lot of help, I'll look into using your suggestions and try them out when we work tomorrow! smiley

Cebu City
Hi im new to arduino!
View Profile

Will try looking on pressure sensors and anemometer circuits, sorry not that familiar with these two. smiley

I'm glad I bought an Arduino Leonardo
View Profile

Yes sir

that's about the best you can get when using a single frequency for one tone.
For a more stereo quality sound what some people are doing is pre-recording the sounds then using a stereo IC and the arduino to mix it.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electronic-Instrument/
http://www.instructables.com/id/Stereo-Audio-with-Arduino/
http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Vocal-Effects-Box/

Cebu City
Hi im new to arduino!
View Profile

Latest on our Sax:

Dubuque, Iowa, USA
Faraday Member
View Profile

Hi I made a microphone circuit and I plan to make it detect only the wind blowing for my Saxophone project. So far I am having problems on how to do this because when I blow wind to the microphone it gathers data and when I also talk it also gathers data. How can I let my circuit only gather data wind blowing from the microphone?

You could add a second microphone with a windscreen. Subtract signal that the windscreen'd microphone receives. Just an idea.

Here's an example of a blow pressure sensor: http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Controlled-SIP-PUFF-Switch/

Another thing to add would be a force sensitive resistor where the reed would be. Allow the user to apply pressure with their bottom lip to "bend the tone higher" (damn I played sax for 10 years and don't know the proper term).

Cebu City
Hi im new to arduino!
View Profile

Hi I made a microphone circuit and I plan to make it detect only the wind blowing for my Saxophone project. So far I am having problems on how to do this because when I blow wind to the microphone it gathers data and when I also talk it also gathers data. How can I let my circuit only gather data wind blowing from the microphone?

You could add a second microphone with a windscreen. Subtract signal that the windscreen'd microphone receives. Just an idea.

Here's an example of a blow pressure sensor: http://www.instructables.com/id/Arduino-Controlled-SIP-PUFF-Switch/

Another thing to add would be a force sensitive resistor where the reed would be. Allow the user to apply pressure with their bottom lip to "bend the tone higher" (damn I played sax for 10 years and don't know the proper term).

It's all good man! We just had finished our Project and it's working out great for us. I just posted the video to let you guys know. and I would like to thank all the people from Arduino.cc for helping me! Thank you for advice though. smiley
We used a blow pressure sensure by the way.
I would like to especially thank Grumpy Mike for this! smiley

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: