Go Down

Topic: How to build a string from analogRead values (Read 652 times) previous topic - next topic

invader7

Hello , i want to work with an analog keypad , im getting values with analogRead and my code understands which key is pressed so i can store it at
Code: [Select]
int value = analogRead(1); . Thats ok , now lets say that value has the value 4 , and the next value will be 3 , i want to construct 43 ... i think its not possible with int type , so i have to use String or char , right ?

Thanks

dhenry

You have to decide if you wanted is 43 (a numerical value), or "43", a string of chars.

invader7

You have to decide if you wanted is 43 (a numerical value), or "43", a string of chars.

numeric value is the best for me !

billroy

Think about how this might help:

number = number * 10 + value;

-br

dhenry

A decimal 43 is actually quite difficult to decode later. A hex 43 is far easier to decode and can be constructed easily:

value = (value << 4) | (analogRead(1) & 0x0f);

This will retain just the lowest four bits of analogRead().

invader7

Think about how this might help:

number = number * 10 + value;

-br

how simple and great...

dhenry thank you too !

PeterH

numeric value is the best for me !

In that case "How to build a string from analogRead values" is a highly misleading title.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy