Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Author Topic: This should please the IDE haters  (Read 2926 times)
UK
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Processing moving to using Eclipse!

http://benfry.com/writing/archives/738

Andrew

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

So... arduino moving to eclipse?

Somehow I doubt it  smiley-wink

Portugal
God Member
View Profile

Its been already done..
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/Arduino_Unleashed.aspx

But as a lot of spit glue...

Cumming, GA
Edison Member
Ultimate DIY: Arduino
View Profile

While it does give the IDE crowd some joy... at first glance it does seem to remove some of the "ease of use" that is essentially the Arduino "way" in favor of making hard core "coders" happy.

The additional dependencies say to me that it should possibly remain... optional.

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

Its been already done..
http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/Arduino_Unleashed.aspx

But as a lot of spit glue...
Yeah but that's not official and we all know too well what the difference is  smiley-wink

Arduino rocks
View Profile

While it does give the IDE crowd some joy... at first glance it does seem to remove some of the "ease of use" that is essentially the Arduino "way" in favor of [glow]making hard core "coders" happy[/glow].

To do that you'd move it to emacs smiley-wink

Phoenix, Arizona USA
Faraday Member
Where's the beer?
View Profile

One could look at it this way, as well: If Processing moves to something like Eclipse or based off it, the Arduino team could simply fork the current IDE and run with it in their own way...

I don't know if that would be the right choice, but it is an option...

I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

the ide is not based off of processing, its java, just like in processing, porting the functionality seems pretty trivial

also I wouldn't hate it as much if it was not so damn quirky, same with processing's ide (which is shared) and bloated
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 12:29:59 pm by Osgeld » Logged

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

the ide is not based off of processing, its java, just like in processing, porting the functionality seems pretty trivial

also I wouldn't hate it as much if it was not so darn quirky, same with processing's ide (which is shared) and bloated
The arduino IDE was based off processing and often gains many of the features from processing because of this.

Mowcius

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

no look at them, the only thing arduino shares with processing is the IDE which is streight laced java for both IDE's

and please do tell what features are brought over from processing?

honestly you can replicate the function of the ide with a couple batch files and notepad ...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 02:07:29 pm by Osgeld » Logged

Portugal
God Member
View Profile

Yeah but that's not official and we all know too well what the difference is  Wink
Yes I know, and that is pretty much shown all over the link that I posted, its really strange to put it working, thats why I love my AvrStudio and do all the code and no libs  smiley-wink

North Yorkshire, UK
Faraday Member
View Profile

no look at them, the only thing arduino shares with processing is the IDE which is streight laced java for both IDE's
Have you read what it says ever time it starts up??

Based on processing by Casey Reas and Ben Fry

So it's not based on processing?  ;D

SE USA
Faraday Member
@ssh0le
View Profile

I can change the splash screen to say based on cheese if I want, and no, jeez man have you even used processing? its a totally different language (based on java), they share the same ide, but that ide is written in pretty much vanilla java not processing

cheese n crackers! if it was based on processing wouldnt the IDE be a pde file that anyone could mod at a whim, but NO its compiled java

I will concede that yes the IDE is based on 1 PART of processing, but it has nothing to DO with processing, its like arguing that taco's and cheeseburgers are identical cause they are both cooked ground beef

smiley-wink

(and no I dont count the void setup and void loop callbacks, cause that is a common occurrence in many noobier friendly languages, and not a trait of JUST processing)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 04:37:44 pm by Osgeld » Logged

Left Coast, CA (USA)
Brattain Member
Measurement changes behavior
View Profile

I guess the real question is will this slow or stop development and bug fixes in the Arduino IDE?

I follow the Arduino Developers Archives a little and notice when the Processing group releases a new version of their IDE they frequently use it in the next Arduino IDE release. So I suspect that the Arduino group presently relies on the Processing group for enhancements and bug fixes that are then brought over to the Arduino release?

Lefty
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:22:02 pm by retrolefty » Logged

Cumming, GA
Edison Member
Ultimate DIY: Arduino
View Profile

To do that you'd move it to emacs
 Sooooooo true.

@ OSGELD... to my silly eyes... I see WAY more commonality between Processing and Arduino than differences... so, while I understand that you do not...  it leaves me confused that you feel that way.

Arduino's language heritage stands out clear to me.

And here's the crazy thought.   Eclipse still won't make a majority of people happy... since editing environments are like candy...  it seems everyone has a different favorite.  

With small projects... the IDE doesn't bother me...  maybe I'm unique in that.

When I'm working on a complex PDE file (or files), I just pull it all into my favorite customizable syntax highlighter editor app, I work on there... and then  pass it back to the Arduino IDE and let it do the rest.

I can't say that ECLIPSE will be a welcome change for me.  I've used it... and when decisions were being made for a JAVA editor... I selected NETBEANS instead of Eclipse... so maybe I'm just a little nutty.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:23:43 pm by pwillard » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Jump to: