Go Down

Topic: This should please the IDE haters (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

Korman

Set up files like this and you can use ANY editor.

The only thing for which I use the IDE is to run the serial monitor. If it was a separate program I wouldn't need the IDE at all.

Don't know why the developers waste their time on this poor piece of work

The serial monitor can be replaced by any serial terminal program, just connect to /dev/ttyUSBx or whatever that port is called in your excuse of an operating system. No need for the IDE either.

I use the IDE just to press the compile-and-run button and the serial monitor and I don't think it wastes my time. If you meant the developer of the IDE wasting their time, they provide a decent alternative for people intimated by an editor, people who would use notepad.exe instead or people who think make is just a magazine and gnu is sold as unspecified venison in the supermarket. Which describes a sizeable part of the Arduino community.

So please show a little tolerance and let people enjoying the IDE have their fun.

Korman

rondunn

Oh, come on guys, the IDE is rubbish. It lacks many of the features of a contemporary text editor, let alone a complete IDE. Not only does it lack features, but it lacks polish and performance as well.

No wonder this thread included the words "IDE haters" in its title. There are enough of them around to justify the phrase.

One reason people stick with it is because of the charade about a special "Arduino language". It beats me why an open product can't be more up-front about its own components.

Anyway, you like it, you keep using it.

Korman

Anyway, you like it, you keep using it.

Exactly. And you don't use Eclipse, MS VisualStudio (I think there was an integration for that one too), emacs or - like I do - vi. The IDE provides a quick way to get started, that's the important part. For the rest, one can discuss if it's worth competing with Eclipse. In my opinion, that effort isn't worth the hassle and the mediocre IDE which needs nor dependencies to install and comes in one file is good enough.

Open source at work the way it's supposed to be: Things get only changed if people care about changing it, the rest is left at the works-well-enough stage.

Korman

mowcius

No wonder this thread included the words "IDE haters" in its title. There are enough of them around to justify the phrase.

There are a few around but I'd say that most people see the advantages of the IDE even if they don't use it themselves.

Lets see your version then? If it's so bad and you know all that's wrong with it then make us a better version.

I personally think that if you want more advanced features than what the IDE has then you probably wouldn't need to use the arduino IDE anyway. You'd code in whatever the hell you want no matter how good the IDE was.

Mowcius

jada

I like the IDE  :)
If it's so bad and you know all that's wrong with it then make us a better version.

;D

Osgeld

Nov 07, 2010, 05:59 pm Last Edit: Nov 07, 2010, 06:30 pm by Osgeld Reason: 1
why is it that there is an automatic assumption that the IDE has to be one of 2 extremes?

its either fisher-price for the noob or freaking eclipse!

it just has issues, and god help anyone say anything about it cause then they are a AVRGCC expert wanting to use eclipse and thus their opinion is invalidated

I am sure a noob would like things like show me what and where your undoing, this hit me again the other night, finger bounced hit ctrl+z 1 extra time and it changed something that I had not fiddled with for over an hour 3 tabs to the left, but did it switch tabs? did it move the cursor?

no

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

Korman

Nov 07, 2010, 06:13 pm Last Edit: Nov 07, 2010, 06:15 pm by Korman Reason: 1
Osgeld,

it's a slippery slope: Add a little thing here, another little thing there and soon you end up rebuilding Eclipse only on worse. There's a reason why Eclipse is the way it is today. If someone want s to do that with his time, fine by me, I can't care less about it. But one should do a little planning before launching on such an endeavour and not be dragged into it blindly. I've been involved in enough commercial software projects to know where that ends in all ugliness.

For my part, I would prefer if the Arduino IDE team concentrates in fixing the bugs and and focus on the vision they have for the IDE, whatever that might be. My impression was, the main target group for the IDE are beginners, so make it easy for them and forget all about power users. They have enough good other options available and thus matter a lot less.

And just to make things clear: I write my code in vi, because that's the only proper way to do it. IDEs are for wimps anyway. Back in Klondike we'd have been thankful even for ed - we had to hack each bit one by one out of the ice with a rusty hatchet. 0s took twice as long as 1s. Kids have it so easy these days.

Korman

Osgeld

Nov 07, 2010, 06:26 pm Last Edit: Nov 07, 2010, 06:27 pm by Osgeld Reason: 1
it's a slippery slope: Add a little thing here, another little thing there and soon you end up rebuilding Eclipse only on worse.

I am not talking about adding anything, I gave up on that when the community had a hissyfit in the uno threads acting like adding anything would confuse and bewilder anyone (confusing things like a menu to change font size)

For my part, I would prefer if the Arduino IDE team concentrates in fixing the bugs and and focus on the vision they have for the IDE, whatever that might be. My impression was, the main target group for the IDE are beginners, so make it easy for them and forget all about power users. They have enough good other options available and thus matter a lot less.

and that is all I am saying, fix the broken crap, but what do I get the very next post in the very first paragraph "its slippery go use eclipse"

*pulls hair out*
http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php?action=unread;boards=2,3,4,5,67,6,7,8,9,10,11,66,12,13,15,14,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,86,87,89,1;ALL

mowcius

I gave up on that when the community had a hissyfit in the uno threads acting like adding anything would confuse and bewilder anyone (confusing things like a menu to change font size)

Some people in the community perhaps.

Go Up