Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Wifi shield - cool term connection settings  (Read 893 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

I have never been able to successfully connect to my new wifi sheild using FTDI and coolterm. I was wondering if someone could double check my settings.

Serial Port settings
Serial Port: The wifi shield port
Baud Rate: 57600
Databits: 8
Parity: 1
Stop bits: 1

Flow control: nothing checked (I've tried checking each option individually)

Terminal
Enter Key Emulation: CR

I've experimented with different baud rates, flow control, terminal modes - no dice.

I've also double checked my FTDI cable to make sure I had it plugged in properly. smiley

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Adam

Dallas, Texas
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Using the FTDI connection I wanted to try to debug another wifi shield issue.

I am using an Arduino compatible FTDI breakout board (  http://osepp.com/learning-centre/start-here/ftdi-breakout-board/ftdi-breakout-board-2/ ) instead of the FTDI cable but the result is the exact same. Similar to what Adam experienced, regardless of speed and the other serial settings, the wifi shield never responds.

BTW looking around in Github I think I found some code that appears to be relevant:

File  : board_init.c  ( https://github.com/arduino/wifishield/blob/master/firmware/wifiHD/src/board_init.c )

Code:
static void init_printk(void)
{
#ifndef NO_SERIAL
#if defined(CONFIG_CONSOLE_PORT)
const usart_options_t usart_options = {
.baudrate = 57600,
.charlength = 8,
.paritytype = USART_NO_PARITY,
.stopbits = USART_1_STOPBIT,
.channelmode = USART_NORMAL_CHMODE
};
usart_init_rs232(&CONFIG_CONSOLE_PORT, &usart_options, FPBA_HZ);
#endif
#endif /* NO_SERIAL */
}

I think this proves that your settings are correct. But it brings up the question if CONFIG_CONSOLE_PORT was defined when our firmware was built. I suspect that it was not... hence the no response behavior.

I don't know enough about the firmware build environment. Maybe someone more familiar could help us out.

John

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: