Go Down

Topic: 6 pins next to the reset button ? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

knuckles

on a UNO ,what are these for ? another icsp connection or what ?
and a four holes with J2 what are they for ?
just curious

Grumpy_Mike

They are for programming it if you have a hardware programmer.

fungus

Dec 11, 2012, 11:17 am Last Edit: Dec 11, 2012, 11:21 am by fungus Reason: 1

just curious

Arduino Unos are really two Arduinos in one!

If you look closely at the board you'll see a small chip that says "Atmel mega16U2". This chip is programmed to do the USB->serial interface.

http://arduino.cc/en/uploads/Main/ArduinoUno_R3_Front.jpg

I'm guessing the second set of header pins let you reprogram that chip if you want to. Maybe you could use it as a math co-processor if you're not using USB... :)

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

Grumpy_Mike

Yes but they are not the ones close to the reset button. On my board those 6 lines are just pads to solder headers onto if you want.

tim7

just curious

It sounds like you have an Uno R3.  The reset button was moved between the R2 and the R3.  The 6-pin header near the USB port is for ICSProgramming the ATmega16u2.  This chip has a bootloader, so it can also be programmed via the USB port.  The 4 holes marked J2 connect to various port pins on the 16u2, which can be useful if you ever want to do more than USB-to-serial conversion with this chip.  Some time ago I wrote some code which allows the 16u2 to work as an ICSP programmer, meaning you could update the Arduino bootloader without needing a second Arduino.  I used one of the J2 pins to switch the software between USB-to-serial mode and ISCP mode.

knuckles

thanks to all for a great response i was wondering how you would work on the U2 chip ,that gives me tips for further research on this

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy