Go Down

Topic: Zigbee and arduino communications (Read 7 times) previous topic - next topic

draythomp

No, I've never heard of anyone controlling zigbee home automation with an arduino.  It may have been done, but I haven't ran across it yet.  I have a number of X10 devices, and I hate all of them.  They are very unreliable.

If you search around this forum though, there are several people that have controlled lights and appliances with various techniques using an Arduino and XBee or other radio device.
Trying to keep my house under control http://www.desert-home.com/

Jack Christensen

But, I would love it if someone out there told me I was wrong, and that we can use an XBee to control these devices.

Can't say right or wrong, but if it is doable, the answer lies in understanding application profiles, clusters, etc. The device(s) to be interfaced would likely need to conform to one of the public profiles, or the details of any proprietary profiles would need to be published.

I've just seen this stuff in the XBee product manual, haven't really made a decent effort at understanding it, much less doing something about it.

I have a number of X10 devices, and I hate all of them.  They are very unreliable.

True that. They're basically unusable here now. Part of the problem is the proliferation of surge suppressors, at least some of which effectively clean the mains of X10 signals. I once had some devices that mysteriously stopped working and found that when I unplugged a surge protector that I had installed with a new TV, they worked again. Solid-state (high-frequency) fluorescent ballasts also raise hell with them. BTW, the TV won. Conclusion: X10 is no longer a viable technology in my heavily EMI-laden home.
MCP79411/12 RTC ... "One Million Ohms" ATtiny kit ... available at http://www.tindie.com/stores/JChristensen/

Papa G

According to Digi, the XBee people, their ZB series of modules are ZigBee compatible with this caveat: "†Network interoperability with ZigBee devices from other vendors requires that the ZigBee Feature Set or ZigBee PRO Feature Set be deployed on all devices. Contact Digi Support for details."

draythomp

I just spent a couple of hours prowling through the zigbee specification at zigbee.org.  What a royal pain in the bottom it is getting documents and specifications.  Net though, they don't specify stuff like:

How to turn the light on
How to turn the light off
How to check if the light is on
How to check if the door is open
etc.

They do specify the interaction of nodes, controllers, routing of messages and such.  Basically, it's a network specification, with the specifics that most of us are interested in being left to the manufacturers.  That means that digi zigbee devices will operate within their specification, but digi has only certified routers and controllers, since matching a particular manufacturers technique of actual control would mean the manufacturer would have to publish something to tell us how they do it.

I hold exactly zero expectations of a wall switch that will work with several manufacturer's controllers.  There's just too much flex given in how to do such a thing.  Where we worry about exactly how to send a signal to turn a light on and then check to make sure it is actually on, the zigbee spec. leaves that to the manufacturer to implement any way they want to.

Strangely, that means that my NETWORK is zigbee compliant, but my devices don't match any manufacturers' simply because I use the zigbee protocol in the various modems.

sigh....

PS, someone out there tell me I'm wrong.....please.
Trying to keep my house under control http://www.desert-home.com/

veseo

Forget it.
It was a bit on ebay. FInal Price was 250 $. (It is cheaper than original).

I think the best way for doing my project will be using x10.
Or do you know a way how to control the electric outlets using ZigBee?

If you like soldering, you can use wireless boards and relays (mechanics or solid state) to control you electric appliance. We have done somenthing like this using Chibiduino boards, that has a radio in 2.4 GHz like ZigBee, but running over it a simpler stack.

Regards,
Dario.
Souliss - Open-source Distributed Home Automation with Arduino and Android

http://www.souliss.net
Follow at @soulissteam

@veseotech

Go Up