Go Down

Topic: GSM Shield with odd behaviour (Read 620 times) previous topic - next topic

xtlc

Feb 19, 2013, 10:41 am Last Edit: Feb 20, 2013, 10:47 pm by xtlc Reason: 1
Hello folks. I would really appreciate some helping comments on my GSM shield problem. The thing is (obviously) it does not do as it's supposed to do ...

I only use the arduino Uno (rev 3) and the GSM shield with the 5100b module (and an antenna:  GSM Quad-band Antenne SMA). I also use the example code from this tutorial: http://tronixstuff.wordpress.com/2011/01/19/tutorial-arduino-and-gsm-cellular-part-one/ which works fine to a certain point - which sadly is the one where you should start communicating with the device :(

Here is my code (1:1 copy from the tutorial. Uses SoftwareSerial.h instead of NewSoftSerial.h):

Code: [Select]
/* SparkFun Cellular Shield - Pass-Through Sample Sketch
SparkFun Electronics Written by Ryan Owens CC by v3.0 3/8/10
Thanks to Ryan Owens and Sparkfun for sketch */
#include <SoftwareSerial.h>     //Include the SoftwareSerial library to send serial commands to the cellular module.
#include <string.h>             //Used for string manipulations
char incoming_char=0;           //Will hold the incoming character from the Serial Port.
SoftwareSerial cell(2,3);       //Create a 'fake' serial port. Pin 2 is the Rx pin, pin 3 is the Tx pin.
void setup()
{
  //Initialize serial ports for communication.
Serial.begin(9600);
cell.begin(9600);
Serial.println("Starting Communication with the SM5100B ...");
}
void loop()
{
//If a character comes in from the cellular module...
if(cell.available() >0)
{
incoming_char=cell.read();    //Get the character from the cellular serial port.
Serial.print(incoming_char);  //Print the incoming character to the terminal.
}
//If a character is coming from the terminal to the Arduino...
if(Serial.available() >0)
{
incoming_char=Serial.read();  //Get the character coming from the terminal
cell.print(incoming_char);    //Send the character to the cellular module.
}
}

When I now look at the serial monitor, I see:

Starting Communication with the SM5100B ...
+SIND: 0
+SIND: 10,"SM",0,"FD",0,"LD",0,"MC",0,"RC",0,"ME",0
+SIND: 7
+SIND: 1
+SIND: 10,"SM",1,"FD",1,"LD",1,"MC",1,"RC",1,"ME",1
+SIND: 11
+SIND: 3
+SIND: 4

So only sometimes I end up with the +SIND: 4 status at the end of up to 10 trys. After some googeling I found out, that maybe the psu is too weak. So i plugged a 12V 0.5A psu to my arduino. Didn't change anything. I got the feeling, the module needs some time of pause. So for example, if I let it rest for some time and then try it again, I usually come to the point, where it answers: +SIND: 4. If I manage to get to this point, I usually change from the serial monitor to the "Terminal" called software (https://sites.google.com/site/terminalbpp/) to connect to the Arduino. But, even if I get a +SIND: 4 here, this is the point where it all comes to an end. Meaning: No matter which command I send to the GSM module, I don't get any answer. It looks like the program has already crashed at this point :(
What could be my problem?

xtlc

This is what terminal says, after I got the +SIND: 3/4/11 output. But as you can see, no answer on "AT" or "AT+SBAND=4" (for Austria Bob Sim Card)... :(

xtlc

I now tried it with an other sim card, and end up with this SIND codes and success. I forgot to check the "+CR" setting in Terminal, which adds a carrige return to every command you enter.

+STIN:9

Also, for Austrian users: Bob sim card didn't work, the orange sim card worked.

You know why the serial monitor shows  + STIN: 0 and ends with + STIN: 7  that it happens to me?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy