Go Down

Topic: 11mm and 12mm rotary encoders? (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

liudr

The mechanical ones I bought for less than a dollar a piece are fine enough for user interface. I'll make some videos hopefully today.

retrolefty

The mechanical ones I bought for less than a dollar a piece are fine enough for user interface. I'll make some videos hopefully today.

Sure if you hate the user. Steve Jobs would never have approved the use of a mechanical encoder.  :D

Lefty

liudr

kf2qd

Mechanical encoders have their place, and opticals have their place. I have designed a welding machine that used 10 of the $2.58 mechanical encoders and the users loved them. Previously they had used optical encoders and they were almost useless. For an operator input the small mechanicals fit the bill well. for motion monitoring the optical encoders are much better.

JoeN

Mechanical encoders have their place, and opticals have their place. I have designed a welding machine that used 10 of the $2.58 mechanical encoders and the users loved them. Previously they had used optical encoders and they were almost useless. For an operator input the small mechanicals fit the bill well. for motion monitoring the optical encoders are much better.

One thing I don't like about the mechanicals is their stated lifetime.  It's usually pathetic.  Is it OK to use that on a machine that is used two shifts a day?
I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they would not teach me of in college.

Go Up