24C04 and Arduino

Hey guys! I want to lessen the size of my projects, and with my research, the ATtiny series of uCs can be programmed by the arduino, and further reading has lead me that the PICAXE uCs can be programmed by the arduino as well. I want to try them out, but, sad to say, both of them are not available in my place. PIC is also on my list, but the programmer is expensive, and not in the range of my budget at the moment, and I wouldn't like to invest on something that might be out from the market soon, as the arduino can program both.

Now, going around the electronic supply stores here, I came across a chip, it model number is 24C04, and asking the technicians in the store, they are used in some TVs, and they have to be programmed. I took a look at their programmer, and it was a copier, and it uses an ATMEL chip. Now, i was wondering, if i could program it using my arduino. Could it?

Thanks guys!

Hi,

The datasheet for the 24c04 describes that as an I2C addressable EEPROM chip - so yes you would be able to read and write from it with an Arduino or similar microcontroller that can be used to communicate via I2C, but it's not a microcontroller itself.

Cheers ! Geoff

Thanks for the reply.

So, is the 24C04 similar to the ATtiny line of chips? For example, i would like to blink a LED on and off, is that possible?

Gin319:
So, is the 24C04 similar to the ATtiny line of chips?

No. It is a simple storage device. Like a harddrive or Flash drive or floppy disc.

For example, i would like to blink a LED on and off, is that possible?

No.