Go Down

Topic: Building a rover. (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

HazardsMind

Just out of curiosity, how big is the rover?
Created Libraries:
TFT_Extension, OneWireKeypad, SerialServo, (UPD)WiiClassicController, VWID

Randolph

Just out of curiosity, how big is the rover?

17"x17"x17" and under 20kg

Chagrin

I don't see where a CAN bus fits in.

If I were you, I'd get a small computer (Mini ITX / Micro ATX) and link it to an Arduino via USB; there are lots of small options out there that can be powered with 12V. Let the Arduino control the motors, encoders, rotating cameras/etc. and the computer to handle the navigation, camera data stream, and communications. Looking at the cRio you mentioned I can see where you'd want to get away from that ($3K!).

Randolph

I don't see where a CAN bus fits in.

If I were you, I'd get a small computer (Mini ITX / Micro ATX) and link it to an Arduino via USB; there are lots of small options out there that can be powered with 12V. Let the Arduino control the motors, encoders, rotating cameras/etc. and the computer to handle the navigation, camera data stream, and communications. Looking at the cRio you mentioned I can see where you'd want to get away from that ($3K!).

Well, we already have a cRio but it has some issues and we're sending it back (it's brand spanking new). The CAN bus is for a distributed sensor+actuator control architecture. The stereo vision system will have a DSP and a buffer and will send the compressed images/video directly to the communications. It will not be processed by the cpu. I'm meeting with a company next week which will help us develop a computer system. We have a rover, but need to really get our electronics down for us to proceed.

The rover will be completely aluminum (carbon fiber here and there), water tight sealed, solar powered, semi-autonomous navigation with high-bandwidth communications.

Go Up