Go Down

Topic: Problem with TIFR0 Register using Timer0 (Atmega328p) (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

So, here's the deal. I've got a problem with calculating the number of overflows on a While loop. Here's part of the code:

TIMSK0= 0x01; // enables timer0 interrupts
TCCR0B= 0x01; // no prescaler... (Confused about using TCCR0A or TCCR0B? Help in this too please)

So, I want to check how many times Timer0 overflows when a digital pin is HIGH. Suppose that pin is called ''Pincheck''. So here's what I thought:

if (digitalRead(Pincheck) ==HIGH) {
  TCNT0=0; // begin to count
else {
  goto Checkr;
while (digitalRead(Pincheck) == HIGH){
    if ((TIFR0, TOV0) ==1) {
     Overflow +=1;

I'm not sure what's wrong, but I think is the way I check TIFR0's pin ''TOV0'', the one that sets when Timer0 overflows. I think this because all the other stuff runs well. Anyone knows what could be wrong with the code?
I did the same algorithm using Bascom and worked out really well, but I need this on Arduino for a project. Thanks in advance.

Coding Badly

Timer 0 is used for millis (and its ilk).  I suggest using timer 2 instead (which is almost identical to timer 0).

Code: [Select]
    if ((TIFR0, TOV0) ==1) {
I'd also suggest that you explain what you think this is doing. The comma operator rarely does what a lot of people seem to think it does.

I've done this different ways, none of them seems to work.

How would you check Timer0/1/2 overflows? The thing is that everytime it overflows, I've got to increment a variable.

I've just started programming on Arduino, so that's why I still don't feel comfortable on it. I had been programming on Bascom for years.
In fact, in Bascom to read and check TOVx is as easy as this:

If TIFR.0 =1 then

But I'm really interested in learning how to program this on Arduino, because of other features I may use in the future that Arduino has.

Coding Badly

Code: [Select]
if ( TIFR2 & (1 << TOV2) )
 // timer 2 overflowed

The ampersand (&) is a bitwise-and.  The double-less-than is a bitwise-left-shift.  C(++) expressions the evaluate to non-zero are automatically treated as true.

"1 << TOV2" shifts a single bit into the correct position for the TOV2 flag.  "TIFR2 &" isolates the bit representing the TOV2 flag.

Ok guys, thanks for the help. I finally got it right, both ways. Using the Timer interrupt function, and ''manually'' checking TIFR2's TOV2, to see when an overflow has place.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131