Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Author Topic: Bin Dec Hex Oct Converter  (Read 1206 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

That's an interesting question.
What if you entered 011?
Would you interpret as 3 or 9?

Sorry, I wasnt clear enough. I was using 012 as an example. I want the user to input anything as long as it is read an octal value.

View Profile

You decided to ask the same question again, huh?

Please do not cross-post. This wastes time and resources as people attempt to answer your question on multiple threads.

Yeah, I used your sample with some modifications but the program did not work. So I thought i'd ask again to see if anyone else new. Forgot the house rules.

Apologies Nick

Des Moines, WA - USA
God Member
View Profile

Number bases are usually denoted with a prefix.

Octal values have a leading '0' character with following characters limited to '0', '1', '2', '3', '4', '5', '6' and '7'.

010 is decimal 8

Hex values have a leading two character indicator of '0x' or '0X' with the following characters limited to '0', '1', '2', '3', '4', '5', '6', '7', '8', '9', 'a' (or 'A'), 'b' (or 'B'), 'c' (or 'C'), 'd' (or 'D'), 'e' (or 'E'), 'f' (or 'F').

0xF is decimal 15

Binary numbers have a leading '0b' with the following characters limited to '0' and '1'.

0b1000 is decimal 8

Global Moderator
Brattain Member
View Profile

He's talking about user-input not compiler input. I gave an example sketch on the previous page, not much reaction to that however.

Des Moines, WA - USA
God Member
View Profile

The same convention can be applied to user input as there is no magic way other than in indication by the user as to the input number base.

My early 6502 experience forgo's octal and has '$' proceeding hex values and '%' proceeding binary values.  Just pick something ..., anything consistent should do.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Jump to: