Go Down

Topic: Direct port manipulation using TIMER1 (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

soulid

Hi,
I need to create 10 different PWM duyt cycle with a MEGA board. As the controller doesn't have so many different PWM duyt cycles I tried to do that by reading the TIMER1 register. I used the onboard LED so everyone reading this topic can try it easily.

I got avery uneven response and the LED is not having a conxtant PWM but having some light flickerings visible... :~ That shouldn't happen, right?

Here is my code
Code: [Select]
#include <avr/io.h>
#include <avr/interrupt.h>

void setup() {               
  // initialize the digital pin as an output.
  DDRB= B11111111; // set PORTB (digital 13-8) to outputs
  cli();          // disable global interrupts
  TCCR1A = 0;     // set entire TCCR1A register to 0
  TCCR1B = 0;     // same for TCCR1B
  TCCR1B |= (1 << CS10);  // Set CS10  bit only for prescaler 1
  sei(); // enable global interrupts:
}

void loop() {

if (TCNT1 < 5){
    PORTB=B10000000;
  }

if (TCNT1 > 20000){
    PORTB=B00000000;
  }
}

AWOL

I need to create 10 different PWM duyt cycle with a MEGA board.

The Mega has twelve PWM outputs.
What's the problem?
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

soulid

Issue is the resolution which is fixed at 8 bit. We need a resolution of more than 10bit...

soulid

Has anyone tried this code on his Mega? I am still running out of ideas to get this idea running  :smiley-sad-blue:

PeterH

I need to create 10 different PWM duyt cycle with a MEGA board.

Issue is the resolution which is fixed at 8 bit. We need a resolution of more than 10bit...

These two quotes seem inconsistent. Are you trying to output one of ten different duty cycles (easily done with 8-bit resolution) or a thousand different duty cycles (which would need 10-bit resolution).
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

dhenry

That shouldn't happen, right?

That can happen: let's say that your counter overflows at the end of the loop. By the time it is tested for "TCNT1 < 5", however, the timer has advanced beyond 5 and the sentence in the "if" statement ("    PORTB=B10000000; ") is never executed -> that cycle is more than 64k ticks -> light stays off twice as long.

You can test this by changing 5 to 50 or 500 (to reduce / eliminate the chance of this happening and your light will never flicker. Alternatively, you can increase the prescaler as well.

dhenry

I think you will find it a lot easier to code what you want to do through timer interrupts.

soulid

Hi dhenry- I am impressed. You got the failure. changeing the value to 50 gives an even result although it is niot accurate enough. I need to think ybout other solutions. This single PWM was intendet to be first out of 10 different PWMs.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy