Go Down

Topic: Quick question about using a simple toggle switch (Read 279 times) previous topic - next topic

Jimmy60

I want to enable selecting between two different modes in my project. Basically one is a long period and the other is shorter. I want to use a simple spst switch on a digital pin with the internal pullup resistors. This works well because it will keep the correct mode even if reset.

I have a slight concern about leaving the switch on all the time. Is that a potential problem?

I think it's probably a non-issue but I'm experienced enough to know that assuming things is less reliable than checking with people who know better.

retrolefty

I want to enable selecting between two different modes in my project. Basically one is a long period and the other is shorter. I want to use a simple spst switch on a digital pin with the internal pullup resistors. This works well because it will keep the correct mode even if reset.

I have a slight concern about leaving the switch on all the time. Is that a potential problem?

I think it's probably a non-issue but I'm experienced enough to know that assuming things is less reliable than checking with people who know better.

It's a non-issue, just microamps flow if the switch is closed with the internal pull-up enabled, and no current flow if the switch is open.

Lefty

DVDdoug

That's no problem at all!

With the switch on and the input pulled to ground, there is a small current through the internal pull-up resistor.

Of course if the switch is on 90% of the time, you can reverse your logic  and make "off" the "normal" condition.    But as far as reliability, it doesn't matter.

Jimmy60

Thanks guys. That's what I thought but now it isn't an assumption.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy