Go Down

Topic: any fans of the Bascom AVR ? (Read 8072 times) previous topic - next topic

pico

Ignore him and he will soon move on I suspect.

Well, I still want that list!

Also, how do we know he's not *actually* Alex Jones, using a pseudonym?

In any case, I find this thread quite fascinating. Are there *really* people still programming in BASIC in this day and age? It's like banging rocks together to make a fire.

The whole thread is so bizarre, it is quite compelling, in a morbid sort of way...
WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

pico

Dean Camera writes on avrfreaks forum using the following important names:
abcminiuser

This is uncontroversial. It's well known that "abcminiuser" is Dean Camera's AVRFreaks handle.

, Kartman, clawson, js, JohanEkdahl, kk6gm, alexan_e, theusch

OTOH, what *possible* evidence do you have for this?

WiFi shields/Yun too expensive? Embeddedcoolness.com is now selling the RFXduino nRF24L01+ <-> TCP/IP Linux gateway: Simpler, more affordable, and even more powerful wireless Internet connectivity for *all* your Arduino projects! (nRF24L01+ shield and dev board kits available too.)

simplex

Also "pico" in Dean Camera on arduino forum!

retrolefty

Ignore him and he will soon move on I suspect.

Well, I still want that list!

Why, it's a figment of his imagination, let the troll go his way.

Also, how do we know he's not *actually* Alex Jones, using a pseudonym?

We know nothing about him, other then his POV on Bascom AVR and the Arduino platform.

In any case, I find this thread quite fascinating. Are there *really* people still programming in BASIC in this day and age? It's like banging rocks together to make a fire.

Sure, there are many people who still personally like to use the Basic language and that is as it should be. There is a very active product/platform/user's forum for the Picaxe chips and they do fun and impressive stuff with those chips just as the arduino users do. No reason to look down on them or the Basic language.

The whole thread is so bizarre, it is quite compelling, in a morbid sort of way...

That is the mark of a successful troll performing his art form.

Lefty

pico

OK, I'm discovered!

But I can prove *you* are Alex Jones!

Simplex is an obvious anagram of 'LEX IS PM

--an obvious reference to Alex's well-known political ambitions in the UK.

Also, if you play "Simplex" backwards on a 33 1/3 vinyl LP it says "I am Alex".

How do explain that, eh Alex?

pico

There is a very active product/platform/user's forum for the Picaxe chips and they do fun and impressive stuff with those chips just as the arduino users do. No reason to look down on them or the Basic language.

Well, I'm sure there are people out there doing fun and impressive stuff banging rocks together, too. But it's still banging rocks together.

simplex

Dean Camera's (avrfreaks forum moderator) names used on arduino forum:

pico, retrolefty

vasquo

BASIC is a vey useful and powerful language that has as its parents CoBOL and ForTran. Bet you didn't know that. It was developed for calculations and output.

I know all that.
Basic is easy, that's why it's the first language taught in school back in the days of Apple II.
Later, they tried to clean it up by removing line numbers, and implementing subroutines/function but it's still a hot mess.
Basic had it's heyday in computing history, but it's time to move on.

I know Fortran - Formula Translation - did some programming on that in CP/M on Apple II.
I know Cobol too - that god awful language. Programmed IBM mainframes in CICS/COBOL/MVS to write reports, compute your daily interest and account balances. Also did bill payment systems, so you can pay your bills directly via the ATM... glue in the backend is that freaking Cobol language. Some banks are very resistant and afraid of change even in the early 90s... still using Cobol. Working in banking IT will suck the life out of your soul. Stay away. :)

AWOL

Willy-waving and nay-saying.
Nothing to see here.
Thread locked.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Go Up