Light a 60W bulb from 2 meters, how far away can I run an AVR and some leds?
When two objects vibrate at the same frequency, the pair makes for a strong couple that can effectively transfer energy.
The research team was able to light the 60-watt bulb from one coil to the other coil two meters (6.56 feet) away. The first trial experiment of WiTricity had a 40 percent efficiency rate, explained Karalis. That is, 40 percent of the power from the first coil made it to the light bulb, leaving 60 percent of energy absorbed by the wire.
Looking at the coils, I am sure the efficiency can be increased. But even now, depending on the source I think of this vs batteries that have to be recycled or end up in a toxic landfill that this may be a better long-term solution.
While the numbers may sound low, Karalis explained that a laptop, a common household electronic, only produces 70 percent efficiency and that most people would not need to power it from more than a meter away.
I am green with envy! I wonder how efficient or not it is at 60 cycles? I can get that easily!