Go Down

Topic: Help - High current high side switch IC ? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

DuaneB

Hi,
   I have some common cathode 8*8 LED Matrix that I want to drive from Arduino.

Can anyone suggest an IC I can use for swithing the high side - worst case 8 leds on at 5ma each or 16 leds at 5ma if I chain two Matrix to a single IC.

I am happy to do the multiplexing through a seperate IC, its the current I am after - 80ma per line would be good, 160ma would be great.

Any suggestions ?

Duane B

fungus

Use a MAX7219 8x8 LED matrix driver IC...?

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

DuaneB

Hi,
   I am having a look now, but always thought they were very expensive for what they do.

Duane B

Riva

MAX7219 is easy to do and well supported but be aware you cannot PWM individual LED's only the entire 64 so if that's what your project needs then maybe the TLC5940 and a shift register.

Look for MAX7219 on ebay, you can pick them up a lot cheaper.

DuaneB

Hi,
Just had a look at the 5940, its a current sink, I want a current source.

Ideally I don't want any logic in the IC, I have that covered by the Arduino and 4017 counters.

All I am looking for is to switch more current, worst case I will use individual transistors but there must be an off the shelf package like the 2803 but for the high side ?

Duane B

Go Up