Go Down

Topic: Fastest chip? (Read 4203 times) previous topic - next topic

fungus

We still don't know what screen he's got.

If it's driven via SPI or something then all the megahertz in the world won't help.

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

oric_dan

Well, r.Pi also has video output. I'd probably go there for that reason, not to mention
the 700 Mhz and 512 MB of RAM. Plenty of RAM for graphics.

Ctodorow22

The fastest Arduino board currently available is the Arduino Due.

It uses the Atmel SAM3X8E ARM Cortex-M3 CPU. It is the first 32 bit CPU in an Arduino board. Its processing speed is 84mhz, in comparison the mega 2560 that has a 16mhz processing clock speed. The Due is over 5x faster. It also has the most ram and I/O pins on the market right now, which is why it is the most expensive board.

A word of caution, some sketches need to be modified to work with the Due board as the processor is different, it also runs on 3.3v not 5v (although if you supply sufficient input voltage (i.e. 12v) there is a 5v output for shields that require 5v.

I have the nano, mega, and due and the due is by far the fastest board i'v used.

Highly recommended.

http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDue

oric_dan

Dec 24, 2014, 09:40 pm Last Edit: Dec 24, 2014, 09:41 pm by oric_dan
Welcome to the forum, but people usually give up on threads that are 2 years old. The original authors may not even be in the building anymore, :-).

There are many "current" threads on Due, in its own section, and STM32 around here.

rogerClark

No one seems to have mentioned the Teensy, its up there with the Due and the STM32 boards.

The STM32F103 boards are roughly the same speed as the Due. Well the Due has a slightly higher clock speed but in my tests, it doesn't seem to make it any faster than the 72Mhz STM32's

I think in the near we'll get the STM32F4 boards working with the IDE, which gives clock rates up to 180Mhz. But this is still a work in progress, so only the 72Mhz STM32F103 boards are currently supported
Freelance developer and IT consultant
www.rogerclark.net

Go Up