Radio Shack Inventory (Arduino)

Since Arduino devices are now being carried by Radio Shack, I decided to stop into the local store in the shopping mall in Marlborough, MA and see what they actually had on the shelves. This location previously had maybe one or two Parallax Stamp products at most.

I found:

Arduino R3
Arduino Mega
Arduino Proto Shield
Arduino Motor Shield
MakerShed Mintduino (this is cute- may get for my daughter, add a RBG LED, and let HER make the "color nightlight" she wants)
MakerShed WiFi/SD Shield
MakerShed Ethernet/POE Shield
"Getting Started" component kits and books
Parallax PIR, Light sensors and Stamp
and shelfspace that DID have stuff that had sold out already.

The sales kid knew next to nothing about them, but I'm sure he was just holiday sales help. I wasn't really expecting anything from a mall Radio Shack employee ten days befor Christmas. What he DID know was that "that stuff really had sold" and several people per day were asking about Arduino.

I'm curious to hear if others have done similar store checks.. interesting mix of products, and interesting at sales rates, too.

I browse my Radio Shack every so often. Several months ago I noticed they started carrying Arduinos, the Uno, and Mega. The other day, they were now carrying, Nano, Micro, Netduino, several different shields, and accessories like the ultrasonic sensor. Also, quite a few starter kits. I was quite shocked at how much Arduino related items they had stocked. I am really glad that Arduino is getting attention from Corporate stores. Now I wish RS would carry more components...

I havn't been to a Radioshack in probably 5 years. Last time I went in there I said I was looking for a BNC connector and the guy behind the register looked at me like I had two heads. Might have to stop by again.

Yea, I know better than to ask an employee anywhere for advice. Most of the time they will try to sell you the most expensive item. Radio shack was a good electronics store in the past due to them hiring people with knowledge. But, like other businesses, they lowered their qualifications for employees due to high wages. Basically the dumber the person, the less they have to pay them.

wizdum:
I havn't been to a Radioshack in probably 5 years. Last time I went in there I said I was looking for a BNC connector and the guy behind the register looked at me like I had two heads. Might have to stop by again.

That is strange, I live in a town of 2000 at 8000 ft in Colorado, and the RS is part of a fishing/hunting/tourist trap/Verison store. Every time I go in for some oddball part, the clerk goes right to it.

Jim

focalist:
I'm curious to hear if others have done similar store checks.. interesting mix of products, and interesting at sales rates, too.

I work up in Westford, Massachusetts and I check there from time to time. When I first started getting into Arduino, I think they had just a Uno and the Mega, and now the Westford store has pretty much the same stock, plus some accessories from Seeed, such as a protoshield. However, at the time, I was looking for one off force sensors and voltage converters, that they didn't have. It may be my memory, but I thought the prices were more reasonable as well.

Since the shack is the only distributor for the Esplora, it will be interesting to see if they carry it in the retail store. Well interesting in the theoretical sense, as the Esplora really doesn't interest me.

I actually bought my Uno R3 at a Radio Shack in San Clemente, CA back in April. Also the "Getting Started..." book, a PIR sensor, and a few components. Only later did I discover Jameco, Mouser, Futurlec, Sparkfun, Tayda, and many others. Now I mostly buy everything online, but if I need something right now I go to Radio Shack. The last time I was there they had Uno, Mega, Nano, motor shield, wifi shield, ethernet shield and a couple of Arduino starter kits.

By the way, OP, what IS that thing on your tongue????

LOL.. That isn't actually me.

That is Dr. John Whorfin, who is also Dr. Emilio Lizardo, who has been possessed by a red 'lectroid from planet ten by way of the eighth dimension. Surely you know the reference, or if not, throw away two hours of your life and write them off as spent poorly, and watch the movie. You will, if like most, consider it to be both one of the worst, and one of the best films ever- depending on how you look at it.

In the scene my avatar is clipped from, Dr. Lizardo attaches a homebrew electroshock apparatus (including the tongue electrode) to himself to bring back the memories of the time before his interaction with the beings of the 8th Dimension. Brilliant and insane character of the highest caliber. As played by John Lithgow. The film also contains what I consider to be Jeff Goldblum's best acting. Seriously. He is a terrible actor. Christopher LLoyd also plays the same character he plays in everything he's ever been in. You will never, ever be able to get the stink of this film out of your eyeholes. Give in, everyone likes a nice slice of top shelf cheese.

Buckaroo Banzai - Across the 8th Dimension. Cinematic tour de force. One of the finest films ever made.

The source image for my avatar, it's not great but better than the avatar..

And here is a guy who has 3D printed the car from the movie:

focalist:
The sales kid knew next to nothing about them, but I'm sure he was just holiday sales help. I wasn't really expecting anything from a mall Radio Shack employee ten days befor Christmas. What he DID know was that "that stuff really had sold" and several people per day were asking about Arduino.

yea, thats why its most likely the same stock they got first time around, no radio shack knows how to explain them, and some dont even know they carry them.. I also know that "that stuff really sold" has been dished out to me in 4 stores

I am not saying they havent been selling them, but its a little strange that the stock never seems to move, and I have never heard anyone else in a radio shack ask about them, and yet they are moving like sliced Jesus acc to the staff that forgot they even carried it

Surely you know the reference, or if not, throw away two hours of your life and write them off as spent poorly, and watch the movie.

Thanks for that. I had not heard of the movie, but I shall make a New Year's resolution to see it.

I have two radio shacks near me and now visit both frequently. I even sent an email to Tandy corp telling them that I've spent about $300 in 3 months on Arduino related products. I purchased the starter kit and have been going back for add ons ever since. I don't expect the guys and gals working there to have much knowledge about Arduino products. Although I am such a regular there now that they are asking lots of questions about my projects. I took the GPS I just made (looking for a case) and they asked lots of questions. I work at a radio shack from 1979 thru 1983. I have not been a regular customer for years....probably stopped going there for anything back in 1986. I think it's great that they have seemingly embraced their core customer base again. And although buyers like myself may not make their quarterly numbers, it's got to be a significant increase for them nationwide. Especially since they were hurting financially in recent years.