Go Down

Topic: Programming Arduino Pro Mini (Read 3154 times) previous topic - next topic

Gepapado

Hi. I'm trying to program the Arduino Pro Mini. I am using this board http://imall.iteadstudio.com/im120525005.html. I have connected the DTR pin to GRN, GND to GND, VCCIO to VCC, RXD to RXI and TXD to TX0 (the first pin of each connection is on the FOCA and the second on the Arduino). I have also downloaded the FTDI drivers to interface the arduino with my Mac (OSX 10.7.5). The Pro Mini shows up in the serial ports in the IDE as "dev/tty.usbserial-A100P6QO" and "dev/cu.usbserial-A100P6QO". However, (1) I don't know what arduino Pro Mini this is (5V, or 3.3V and whether it has an ATmega 328 or ATmega 168) and (2) when I try to upload the blink sketch to the arduino (after first having connected the FOCA board  to my Mac with a USB cable), it just says "avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding." Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks in advance.

johnwasser

Often the Transmit and Receive pins are labeled relative to the board they are on.  The Transmit of one board should go to the Receive of the other board and vice-versa.

You should be able to determine which processor you have (168 vs 328) by looking at the chip markings.

You should be able to measure the CPU voltage(3.3V vs 5V) with a multimeter or look at the markings on the voltage regulator.
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

Gepapado

Often the Transmit and Receive pins are labeled relative to the board they are on.  The Transmit of one board should go to the Receive of the other board and vice-versa.

You should be able to determine which processor you have (168 vs 328) by looking at the chip markings.

You should be able to measure the CPU voltage(3.3V vs 5V) with a multimeter or look at the markings on the voltage regulator.

Hi, and thanks for your reply. Well, I measured the voltage and it was 5V, so I didn't break anything. However, even though I connected the TX to RX on each board (silly me), I still get the same error message. I tried both the 168 and 328 selections in the Arduino IDE ('cause I'm too lazy to check the model), but it still is not working. Any other suggestions?

johnwasser

Perhaps there is something about the FOCA that make it incompatible with using it for uploads. Might be time to invest in an FTDI cable. :(
Send Bitcoin tips to: 1L3CTDoTgrXNA5WyF77uWqt4gUdye9mezN
Send Litecoin tips to : LVtpaq6JgJAZwvnVq3ftVeHafWkcpmuR1e

knuckles

i had the same problem when using a sparkfun ftdi basic board ,couldnt get it to load a sketch ,then i bought a cheapy job on ebay and it worked ok .
someboards have TX to RX some have TX to TX and RX to RX ,you might need a small cap on the reset pin
do a search and see all the various options it can be

Gepapado

Thank you all very much for your answers. I fixed it. I don't know what exactly went wrong but I checked all connections again but then removed the reset cable, reset the board manually, re-plugged the reset cable and somehow it worked. In case it was related to electrical connections (I'm posting this for future reference) if you ever need to mount a through-hole device such a Pro Mini to a breadboard without soldering, don't use regular hook-up wire or pin headers, but rather fold single-core wire in two and stick it in the holes. This way it will fit tightly and ensure a good connection. Thanks again to all.

card5

Hi

I have had the exact same problem now.

Foca FTDI board,
and Arduino Pro Mini, won't program, and give an error.

I did what you suggested: I manually reset the board once,
and after that all went OK, includng the Automatic Reset via the GRN line.

It's very weird that the vfirst time is problematic,
and after that everything is OK..

Thanks for the tip!

card5

Important Update:

I discovered now that another solution, is to simply disconnect the Foca board from the USB cable (so it will power off),
and then reconnect it back with the USB cable.

By doing this, we actually "Reset" it.

It also solves the problem.

This means that the problem is mostlikely not in the Pro Mini boards, but in the Foca.

But the Foca board only has an FTDI chip on it..

So it is a standard behavior with other FTDI boards?

fungus

So it is a standard behavior with other FTDI boards?

I never saw a problem like this. I've got two FTDI boards - the official Arduino one and an eBay cheapie.

I notice that board only has a five pin connector. Both of mine have six pin connectors, maybe they're designed more with Arduino in mind.
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

card5

May 22, 2013, 09:32 pm Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:39 pm by card5 Reason: 1
Is the eBay cheapie an FTDI chip, or the other ones?   (CP2102 or PL2303 ones)

fungus

May 22, 2013, 09:54 pm Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:56 pm by fungus Reason: 1

Is the eBay cheapie an FTDI chip, or the other ones?   (CP2102 or PL2303 ones)

It's this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/320907184616

The chip says "FTDI" on it. I don't have it here so I can't tell you more about it right now.
No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

card5

Yeah so it's FTDI indeed.

Another interesting that I noticed, is that:
If I first connect the FTDI board to the USB, and only after that connect the wires from the FTDI to the Pro Mini,
then the problem happens.

If I connect the other way:
First the wires from the FTDI board, to the Pro Mini  (while the FTDI board is not connected to USB)
and only then connect the FTDI to USB, then it works OK.

Maybe the problem never happens to you, because of the way you connect?

fungus

Yeah so it's FTDI indeed.

Another interesting that I noticed, is that:
If I first connect the FTDI board to the USB, and only after that connect the wires from the FTDI to the Pro Mini,
then the problem happens.

If I connect the other way:
First the wires from the FTDI board, to the Pro Mini  (while the FTDI board is not connected to USB)
and only then connect the FTDI to USB, then it works OK.

Maybe the problem never happens to you, because of the way you connect?

Could be:
a) A decoupling problem - try adding an extra capacitor on the FTDI board.
b) A problem with the order in which the pins connect. Try making the Vcc and GND pins a bit longer so they always connect first (ie. make all the other pins a bit shorter...)

card5

Where should I put it? between which 2 legs/contacts?

b) A problem with the order in which the pins connect. Try making the Vcc and GND pins a bit longer so they always connect first (ie. make all the other pins a bit shorter...)

hmm..
I will try that..

It's interesting:
Why should it affect?
What's the problem in having the data legs connected first, and only int he end the 2 Vcc+Gnd legs?

fungus

Where should I put it? between which 2 legs/contacts?

In the usual place.

It's interesting:
Why should it affect?
What's the problem in having the data legs connected first, and only int he end the 2 Vcc+Gnd legs?

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=165298.0

Go Up