Go Down

Topic: Arduino Due Access Port (Read 2827 times) previous topic - next topic

tarun31

Hi Guys,
Have a small doubt regarding the Due? How do we access the port to output a byte of data in parallel not using the serial port. Searched a lot but couldn't find a answer.

Thanks,
Tarun

Grumpy_Mike

How do we access the port to output a byte of data in paralle

Well it is a 32 bit processor so bytes are not on the menu.

Searched a lot but couldn't find a answer.

Section 32 in the processor data sheet tells you all about this.

tarun31

I understand that it is a 32 bit uC but if i wanted to output a byte of data in parallel what is the best way to do it without having to write a seperate function to seperate the byte into bits and then outputting seperately using digitalwrite for each pin. Any help would be very useful.
Thanks

Graynomad

Dec 17, 2012, 01:32 pm Last Edit: Dec 17, 2012, 01:42 pm by Graynomad Reason: 1
I'm not that familiar with the SAM, but on an LPC to set any say 8 bits on a port you would do something like this

Code: [Select]
LPC_GPIO0->MASK = ~mask;
LPC_GPIO0->OUT = val << shift_bits;
LPC_GPIO0->MASK = mask;

IIRC the SAM code though does not uses pointers like that, it has direct defines like GPIO0_MASK etc.

Have a look through the Arduino-supplied source code for examples, there must be heaps.

Surely there's a SAM guru here that could answer this off the top of his head.

EDIT: Have a look in and around

<your install>\hardware\arduino\sam\system\CMSIS\Device\ATMEL\sam3xa\include\sam3x4e.h

All sorts of nifty #defines there.

ANOTHER EDIT: Try

<your install>\hardware\arduino\sam\system\CMSIS\Device\ATMEL\sam3xa\include\instance\instance_pioa.h

That looks like it has #defines for all the IO.

______
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

tarun31

@Graynomad  Thanks a lot. Went through the header file and i found the required registers. Will give it a try and get back. Should do the work.

Tarun

stimmer

There's two ways of doing this that I've found so far. One is:

REG_PIOD_OWER= 0xff; // you only need to do this once
  REG_PIOD_ODSR = data;

Output is all over the place though - pins 25,26,27,28,14,15,29,11 (I think). Take a look at Graynomad's Due pinout diagram to see exactly where (Port D pins 0-7)

The other way is more convenient for wiring and the code is only slightly more complicated:

REG_PIOC_OWER= 0x3fc; // again you should only need this once
  REG_PIOC_ODSR = data << 2;

and the pins are 34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41 which are all nicely together on the bottom connector.
Due VGA library - http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,150517.0.html

tarun31

@stimmer i guess the second option is better connecting wires all over the place like in the first option will be a little irritating.

Thanks,
Tarun

tarun31

yep this does it. this code will blink leds connected to pins 5 and 6 on the board. Thanks all for your help and pointing me in the right direction. But i feel it would be great if Arduino itself could give support to access a port as a whole atleast if not in the due in the other arduino's as well so that we can easily output a byte or a nibble of data in parallel where required (correct me if i'm wrong assuming there is no support for such fucntioniality in arduino yet).

void setup()
{  REG_PIOC_OER=0x03000000;
  REG_PIOC_OWER=0x03000000;
}

void loop()
{
  REG_PIOC_ODSR=0x03000000;
delay(2000);
REG_PIOC_ODSR=0x00000000;
delay(2000);

}

Graynomad

I think that such support is the last thing on Arduino's mind.

There has been a couple of threads about "pin groups" and I think some code/libraries written by members.

_____
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

dishimwe

Does anyone know how to enable input on the port?

Go Up