Go Down

Topic: Being contacted by PM (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

AWOL

The really annoying PMs are the ones from members with zero posts - they've just decided that they're not going to post on the forum, and that you're going to be their personal helpline.

Edit: Or, worse, just click on "Report to moderator". Grrr.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Graynomad

I mostly ignore them. I hate PMs with a passion but occasionally converse with members using them. Normally I try to get any personal discussion moved to real email and help requests to the forum.

_____
Rob
Rob Gray aka the GRAYnomad www.robgray.com

Msquare

The really annoying PMs are the ones from members with zero posts - they've just decided that they're not going to post on the forum, and that you're going to be their personal helpline.
They are ashamed to show the world they have a problem.

(ooops, this was supposed to have been a PM ;))

Grumpy_Mike

Dec 20, 2012, 11:47 pm Last Edit: Dec 24, 2012, 11:48 am by Grumpy_Mike Reason: 1
They tend to come in batches, nothing for months and then lots for a short spell. I always try to get them to post something. Other times it is a request to intervene in a thread that has already got lots or replies.

Nick Gammon

I think I'll have to make another boilerplate to deal with that, which happens a couple of times a week.

I try to point out that it helps everyone for the problem, and solution, to be publicly discussed. If they want to they can make a post and then PM me with a link to it, if they particularly want me to look at it. I have to say though, that when people do that, there are usually a lot of very helpful responses already made (while I'm asleep) which just proves how much more useful the forum is than trying to solve problems on a one-to-one basis.

Go Up