Go Down

Topic: ATMega328 (Non P) and 'Upload Using Programmer' error (Read 950 times) previous topic - next topic

OK, I'm moving along with my playing with different MCU types and bootloading/direct programming via Arduino ISP.

I'm all done fine with regular 328P-PU and 328P-PN. I've also succesfully done a 1284P using Mighty1284 and the Bobuino pin mappings.

Now I'm trying the non-P 328. I've got a  bootloader burned and I can upload a sketch via USB>TTL but it odesn't work directly as 'Upload Using Programmer'.

I get the "MCU 'atmega328' supported for assembler only".

As far as my searching can tell me, this is something to do with the bundles avr-gcc not recognising the 328, but I can't find a definitive answer as to if it can be resolved.

So, is it possible to make changes to get the IDE 'Upload Using Programmer' working on a 328 or can it not be done at all without resorting to either USB>TTL via the bootloader, or using a newer avrdude via command line?

My next mission is to look at modifying files to burn the 1284P bootloader to 644P, and then look at how I can change to running any of these at 20MHz (since I've got a couple of 20MHz crystals today).

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

There are a couple of files that need an addition each. one for the ArduinoIDE and one for AVRDude.
It has been documented a bunch of times.

Thanks. I'll have another look through those bits and see if I can fix it.

Using an Arduino Uno, you can program your Atmega328 with a bootloader or directly with any other hex file (you do not really need a bootloader for most applications) by following the steps of this tutorial: http://pdp11.byethost12.com/AVR/ArduinoAsProgrammer.htm

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131