Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: maxim has stopped samples hobby  (Read 2339 times)
Edison Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,
When try to request samples i got this message:

Order Denial
Please note that public domain e-mail addresses (e.g. @yahoo.com, @gmail.com, etc.) are not supported with free samples.
If you are using a public domain e-mail address, please logout and re-login with a business or educational e-mail address.

Sorry, but we are unable to process sample requests from non-business or non-educational e-mail addresses via this site.

Your options are:
Click here to purchase parts.
Resubmit your request using a business or educational e-mail address registered with Maxim.
Contact your local Maxim distributor.

does maxim stop to give out sample, or it block the free e-mail now ?

As did the login with my personal @gmail.com mail I asked for samples again
but this time i did the login with my educational e-mail address.
My university has provided me an email account ending with @their.domain

but still no way ='(

Sorry, but we are unable to process sample requests from non-business or non-educational e-mail addresses via this site.

This let me suppose to be happening because guys have misused Maxim's service, putting different addresses and names and ordering quite a lot of components by putting >1000s of pieces as their project requirement, so Maxim were sending samples straight away with high expectations on a bigger order in near future, but later they have realised that it is just a fraud: no mass quantity orders by individuals.

I think It should be really okay to order one or two free samples for experiments by people like students which aim to realize a circuit which needs a pair of Maxim's components, also it could be fine for them: students are are the people who will join the industry one day, so they will introduce the good products that they have been experimenting throughout the past for bigger projects.

That means a real big order of a real quantity of >1000 of Maxmim chips, placed from a real Company. So I think they should clearly identified this and they should make that restriction without blacklisting the whole country and universities.

Anyway, the domain of my university seems banned ='(
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 06:02:00 pm by lock » Logged

View Profile

If you're a legit student, have your professor contact them. That will give more credence to the request, but still no guarantees.

The sample program has been abused by people, ordering samples, then selling them off on eBay or forums.
Personally, I don't think the sample program should be for "hobbyists." You want a part? go buy the part!

Greenville, IL
Edison Member
Warning Novice on board! 0 to 1 chance of errors!
View Profile

I have got samples elsewhere by being honest and using my e-mail address that came from my internet provider. You can't use Yahoo or Gmail addresses but, you do not have to use a corporate address either.

I don't know if you are using a public computer but, if your not, you should have an address that your internet provider will give you access to.

In the information portion of their forms, I made it clear I was a hobbyist and my plans for a product are well into the future.

Edison Member
View Profile

You want a part? go buy the part!

Well, this is an university project which i am running in as hobby in my free time, i am considering it "hobby" because it is a complementary part of an university exam: it is not required in oder to pass the exam, but it could be a good opportunity to translate theory into something of practical, anyway it is very appreciated as learning experience. I bought an fpga of 100 euro, other analog parts for other 110 euro, for a total of  210 euro (which are a lot of money for a student), now i need a nvram at 512Kb/3.3V in DIP package (i have no skill and no money to buy the tools required for SOIC or other smd stuff) and an other little chip which is terrible difficult/expensive for me to find and buy from resellers.

I am wondering if to switch from Maxim (bye bye Maxim) to an other chip vendor: for example ST for the zeroram parts and Analog Devices for the analog sample i need.

Edison Member
View Profile

You can't use Yahoo or Gmail addresses but, you do not have to use a corporate address either.

the first time i used @gmail.com, the second time i used @polimi.it, that is my student email domain

I don't know if you are using a public computer but, if your not, you should have an address that your internet provider will give you access to.

i am not using a public computer, i am using my ADSL, my provider is Telecom and they only provide me ADSL flat service with a dynamic IP, no email with their @telecom.it domain

In the information portion of their forms, I made it clear I was a hobbyist and my plans for a product are well into the future.

i did too, when they asked "which company are you ?" i have filled the name of my university, also i filled "university project" in the field where they ware asking "which use is this chip for ?"

but no way: could i ask which domain @xxxx??? have you used ?

Greenville, IL
Edison Member
View Profile

but no way: could i ask which domain @xxxx??? have you used ?

I tried using Gmail and Yahoo with no luck. I used my provider address that is domain@ newwavecomm.net.
After that, I had no problems, I have got Atmel, and Analog Devices parts so far. I have signed up to 1 other one but, I can't recall the name at the moment.

In each case, they sent an E-mail with a conformation link. You click on the link to activate your account with them.

Greenville, IL
Edison Member
View Profile

We had as thread going called "your latest sample" maybe there will be some helpful information in it.

http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/topic,119701.0.html

Adafruit had a big wicki page on getting samples.

Manchester (England England)
Brattain Member
Solder is electric glue
View Profile

I think It should be really okay to order one or two free samples for experiments by people like students which aim to realize a circuit which needs a pair of Maxim's components,
Well I don't, if you want a part pay for it.
I have worked for companies and got samples for both work and myself. On the odd occasion I have got them for myself I have told the sales rep that was why I wanted them.

Samples are a form of advertising budget for a manufacturer. It allows simple supply to businesses developing product. It often cost more to process an order that to simply give the components away for small quantities. Some manufacturers even supply enough for prototype production runs of a couple of hundred.  However, that does not mean that you have any right to expect to receive components just for furthering your own hobby or indeed your own education.

Edison Member
View Profile

However, that does not mean that you have any right to expect to receive components just for furthering your own hobby or indeed your own education.

No right at all, i am not pretending nothing from them, just wandering why in the past (early 2000 years) it was possible and now it is not. My brother got his university degree in 2005 and it was 20% supported by Maxim in his university project, i have payed the 90% of the components of my project and now i only need a chip from Maxim, a chip that is very difficult to obtain with a reduced price if you pick up an order as private individual: 30 euro of difference, for example.

View Profile

Sometimes ordering "samples" of a special component may be hard.  The manuf. may have limited supplies available to give away. -- or they're too expensive parts. Maxim is not a charitable company that throws chips around to anyone who wants it.

Some parts have lead times of 6-8 weeks (or more). So they may not have any at the moment to give away (if they want to give it away.)

Also, If it's a brand new chip design, companies are likely more to give it away. (assuming they have enough quantities on hand.)

When I'm designing a board/system, I have digikey and mouser opened at the same time so I can check the parts I use for my boards are readily available in the quantities I need. I know I can easily order 100pcs of so-and-so part. If you designed something using a special part you got as a sample, then you want to produce another 100 boards, and you find out digikey/mouser doesnt carry it normally or it's a special order item requiring 2000 units to buy and 6-8 weeks to wait, it's disappointing... not to mention a big amount of money to special order 2000 pcs.  I tend to look for alternatives on what's readily available... then I go BUY that part. 

Edison Member
View Profile

yeah, too hard life.

It was also difficult to get the fpga soldered at a reasonable price, the only fpga chip costs $40, while getting the chip soldered on the breakout-board costs $90 (a bit expensive, don't you think ?).

really a too hard life for a student  smiley-mr-green

btw, i have been knocking at the ST's doors explaining them my problem and asking them for a free sample as they are producing an equivalent chip to the Maxim's one. To be honest i prefer the Maxim's one: if the ST''s guys will say "no way", i think i will try to get money to go to buy the part from Mouser. This will take me a lot of time, so i will probably miss the exam's practical laboratury. That's life.

View Profile

That's life.
Yup. It's called reality. Life outside college. smiley

Welcome to the real world.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: