Go Down

Topic: Compiling on Linux vs Windows? (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

dxw00d

Your new library is the github folder "AS3935" copy that folder with all the files and examples folder.
in the arduino install folder "xxx\arduino-1.0.x\libraries" make sure its "libraries" NOT "lib".

FYI:After install I used the example sketch and it verified fine on win7 64-bit, Arduino 1.0.2

That's not the correct place for third-party libraries. They should go, as PaulS said, in the libraries subdirectory of your sketchbook directory. If you don't know the location of the sketchbook directory, look in preferences.

PeterH

That's not the correct place for third-party libraries. They should go, as PaulS said, in the libraries subdirectory of your sketchbook directory.

Just out of curiosity, what's the reasoning behind this advice?

Given that 3rd party libraries have, in the past, been Arduino-version-specific, doesn't it make more sense to keep the libraries within the relevant Arduino installation? By my understanding they behave the same in either case and it's just a question of whether you want to be able to upgrade the IDE and keep using the same copy of all the 3rd party libraries, or [need to] install a separate copy for each IDE version.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

PaulS

Given that 3rd party libraries have, in the past, been Arduino-version-specific

There were major changes needed between 0023 and 1.0.0, but relatively few between releases up to 0023 and relatively few needed between post 1.0.0 releases.

One could copy all the non-core libraries from the Arduino 1.0.x libraries folder to the 1.0.y libraries folder, if one is careful NOT to overwrite any Arduino-supplied (core) library files.

That it is too easy to screw up is why the recommendation is to NOT put user-downloaded libraries in with core libraries.

S_Flex

That's not the correct place for third-party libraries. They should go, as PaulS said, in the libraries subdirectory of your sketchbook directory.

Just out of curiosity, what's the reasoning behind this advice?

Given that 3rd party libraries have, in the past, been Arduino-version-specific, doesn't it make more sense to keep the libraries within the relevant Arduino installation? By my understanding they behave the same in either case and it's just a question of whether you want to be able to upgrade the IDE and keep using the same copy of all the 3rd party libraries, or [need to] install a separate copy for each IDE version.

Well I was thinking there should be an add-on library, but didnt know where it was.

Go Up