Go Down

Topic: Shield for RN-XV WiFly Module on UNO? (Read 824 times) previous topic - next topic

jtlns

Hi all,

I've been testing the Roving Networks RN-XV WiFly Module (together with an Arduino UNO) to build a wireless temperature monitoring system (the UNO reads every minute the temperature and posts the data to a service on the internet). After some weeks of tweaking I'm ready to "finalize my product". :-) Currently the RN-XV is connected with some soldered wires to the +,- and 2 digital pins of the UNO. But I'm looking for a way to make the connection more robust so it can fit in a case.

So my question is: which shields are compatible with the Roving Networks RN-XV WiFly Module?
- Arduino Wireless Proto Shield
- Dfrobot Xbee shield
- Sparkfun XBee Shield

Thanks!
Jan

pylon

Probably any of them, I myself tested the Arduino Wireless Shield with the RN-XV and that works (with the hardware serial interface, the SoftwareSerial wasn't reliable enough in my tests).

jtlns

Thanks Pylon!
Maybe a stupid question but is it correct to state that hardware serial is using the default 0 and 1 pins, while software serial is using a different pair of pins?

Thanks again,
Jan

pylon

This is mostly correct, although, theoretically, a SoftwareSerial can also act on pin 0 and 1 but this configuration does not make sense.

A SoftwareSerial object can be configured to run on any pair of pins if at least the RX pin is able to trigger a pin change interrupt. This is the case for all digital IOs on an UNO.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy