Go Down

Topic: Selecting bias resistor for thermistor (Read 577 times) previous topic - next topic

acid

Rt is thermistor. Rb is bias resistor, which value I need to calculate. The temperature that I'm interested in is giving Rt resistance range of 4k...115k. What I want is to scale this to whole ADC resolution, which is 10 bit ie 0...1023. So when Rt = Rb ADC will convert it to 511. Not sure if it's possible, but ideally I would like to get 0 ADC reading when Rt = 4k and 1023 when Rt = 115k (or the other way).

Internally in MC I have lookup table, which will convert ADC value to temperature, according to curve described in thermistor datasheet.

My suggestion is to use digital thermometer. I have used Dallas DS18B20 using OneWire library. And I can say only the best about them - very precise and stable. And dead simple to use.

acid

My suggestion is to use digital thermometer. I have used Dallas DS18B20 using OneWire library. And I can say only the best about them - very precise and stable. And dead simple to use.

Unfortunately this is not an option due to many reasons.

dhenry

ideally I would like to get 0 ADC reading when Rt = 4k and 1023 when Rt = 115k (or the other way).

Fortunately, that's not possible.

Dec 21, 2012, 02:17 pm Last Edit: Dec 21, 2012, 02:25 pm by Arty Reason: 1
Well ... I'm afraid you cannot get the full 0-5v output using just the voltage divider. You can get only the half of it.. like 0-2.5v (using the same 4k as Rb). You should be using at least 10 volt power source to get full 0-5v ADC resolution ( 0.336V to 5V using the 4k Rb).  Or 2.8k for the best resolution if you are using 12v power source ( 0.285v to 4.941). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy