Go Down

Topic: I need help finding a high capacity force sensor (1000lbs ideally 2000lbs) (Read 142 times) previous topic - next topic

codenator5000

So I wanted to make a project to measure my punching power in lbs, sounded easy enough. I went to amazon and bought a force sensor, but i did not noticed it was a 1oz. to 20lbs sensor.... 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B887CLS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was wondering if any of you know of a store that would cell sensors compatible with Arduino that have high capacity.   

Like I said, punches can vary from 500lbs to 1000+ so i wanted 2000lbs to be safe. The sensor read needs to be sensitive enough to read the impact of a punch or kick . :smiley-lol:

Koepel

codenator5000

Yeah, if this guys in 2007 were able to make it, I'm pretty sure we can make one too. I just haven't found a good market place for sensors.

codenator5000

:smiley-lol:  yeap! they sell ones you can calibrate to different sensitivities. Thanks  a lot !  have you used any of their products in one of your applications ? just trying to figure out quality of product here.

DaveEvans

Yes, I've used one of their standard force sensors - the A201, I think.  Worked fine for me.

Judging from the prices, they're pretty proud of their products. Sparkfun, Adafruit, and others sell similar force sensing resistors (FSR).

I see that a Tekscan A401 has the ability to measure up to 7,000 lb, has a one-inch diameter sensing area, and costs $78 for a four-pack. 

But note that the user manual says that the force should be distributed evenly across the entire sensing area, but not on the edges of that area.  So one of your challenges will be to figure out how to do that.  Similar FSRs by other manufacturers probably have similar requirements.

If you use just one sensor, then either you have to hit it "dead on" (which seems virtually impossible to do) or you have to have some guides that make sure the pressure on the sensing area is uniform when you hit "off center." Friction in the guides could distort your readings.

To achieve relatively even loading, you could use three sensors in a triangular arrangement with, say, 7/8" diameter hard "pucks" attached to the tips of a strong triangular board, with each puck centered on and attached to the sensing area of one sensor.  Then sum the force on each sensor to get the total force (or, there might be a nifty way to connect all three together...like in series...and measure the total that way).

And, if you use three sensors, you might be able to use smaller sensors than the A401.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy