Go Down

Topic: Test 1.5v battery mAh with analogread. (Read 1 time) previous topic - next topic

I am interested in performing the typical which battery lasts longest experiment with some AA and AAA alkaline batteries. The idea was to simply put maybe a 20ohm resistor in circuit with it then measure the voltage. 1.5v / 20ohms = 75mA so my current in mA = analogRead / (1024 / 5 * 1.5) * 75... Or something like that, just a general idea.

My question is, when the voltage of the battery drops, is this equation still valid or will it not account for a dying battery? Because obviously that's the point.

Secondary question, I might not even worry about it, but can I drop the vRef to 3.3v by simply wiring it on the breadboard or PCB and connecting vRef to a 3.3v source? Then obviously the equation would change.

Thanks.

be80be

I would hook  a resistor across the battery read the volts drop across it till it dropped below the 75mA level and yes you can change the  vRef to 3.3 but i would leave it.

backbone

http://mad-science.wonderhowto.com/inspiration/diy-arduino-battery-tester-reveals-secret-capacity-disposable-batteries-0134638/

Enjoy
Never to old to learn and I learn every day

While this would definitely suit my needs, I was hoping to get the actual current. That way every few seconds I could see what the current was then at the end I could get an actual mAh reading rather than just a voltage/time number. Could I still do that?

PeterH

While this would definitely suit my needs, I was hoping to get the actual current. That way every few seconds I could see what the current was then at the end I could get an actual mAh reading rather than just a voltage/time number. Could I still do that?

If you discharge the battery through a known resistance and measure the voltage across the resistor then you can calculate the current through the resistor; by integrating the current over time you can calculate the charge capacity. By integrating the voltage * current over time you can calculate the energy capacity.
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy