Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: Use an Arduino UNO as a USB-to-Serial converter.  (Read 3127 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Hi,

First, my apologies is this has already been asked, I searched this forum but I could not find anything along these lines.

My computer does not have a serial port, and I have a device that has a serial port that I want to connect to my computer. I was wondering if it was possible, since the computer see the Arduino UNO as a serial port, to somehow plug in my serial device to my Arduino board and have the board act like a serial port?

What I was thinking is that I could take off the atmega chip and then just use the built in USB-to-Serial converter by connecting the correct pins from the serial device into the Ground, TX and RX port on my Arduino. Will this work, or am I going to break something when trying this?

The device I want to interface with is another microcontroler that uses a serial port to send data back to the PC (data acquired by the board, not for programing the board that's by USB).

Thanks,

Global Moderator
Dallas
Shannon Member
View Profile

Connect a jumper from RESET to GND.  Your Uno is now a TTL-serial-to-USB converter.  TX, RX, and GND are the connections.

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

What sort of serial signal do you need? If it's a device designed to plug into an external serial socket, it's probably using RS232 signaling. In that case I'd have thought your best bet was to buy a USB-to-RS232 converter - your UNO can't output RS232 without additional hardware.

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

Seattle, WA USA
Brattain Member
Seattle, WA USA
View Profile

your UNO can't output RS232 without additional hardware.
It can't accept RS232 as input, either.

View Profile

I am not sure what type of serial communication it is, but I know I only need a Tx, Rx and a ground from my device to my computer.

I used a jumper to connect the reset and the ground pin together as suggested and the Rx light flashed when I send the board some text from HyperTerminal, but I was not seeing any text being sent from the board to the computer... I will not have much time to works on this for a few days, so I might just break down and buy a Serial-to-USB adapter...

Thank you for the help!!

Edison Member
View Profile

Swap the rx and tx, since the labeled rx and tx is of the 328p not the atmega8/16u2
So put rx of the arduino to rx of the board and same with tx and it will work

UK
Shannon Member
-
View Profile

I am not sure what type of serial communication it is, but I know I only need a Tx, Rx and a ground from my device to my computer.

I used a jumper to connect the reset and the ground pin together as suggested and the Rx light flashed when I send the board some text from HyperTerminal, but I was not seeing any text being sent from the board to the computer... I will not have much time to works on this for a few days, so I might just break down and buy a Serial-to-USB adapter...

Thank you for the help!!

I'm wondering what the name CEstudent comes from. Do you understand what sort of signals your device will produce? If you connect two devices with the wrong electrical characteristics it could damage either/both of them. If you value the hardware, you should understand what you're connecting before you try it in anger.

I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

View Profile

http://hackaday.com/2010/10/09/using-an-arduino-or-seeeduino-for-its-ftdi-chip/

This link might seem like exactly what you are talking about!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: