Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: My 10 year old daughter and Electronics.  (Read 473 times)
Edison Member
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

So far so good, i've shown her how chips all have pins and how they require a high or low voltage and i thought a 555 and a few logic chips and LED's would be a great starting place so
 i  just ordered 20 super bright white leds, 5 x 555 timers, 5 x 4017BE decimal counters, 100 LEDS (Cheap! 3 bucks for multiple different colors) 1 x 720 or whatever tie breadboard along with 70 tie points.

Total cost about 10-12 bucks in total off of ebay.

Total time costing me to teach her and explain it all....Priceless lol

But, i've managed to grab her attention, show her the basics, resistance, voltage, ohms, shown her how to measure resistors, she's 10! she'll forget it no doubt, i'll repeat all the basics and teach her how it works on my setup for a while until all her stuff arrives.

She has led pattern chasers in mind in the shape of.... tree, candle, etc i'll supply her.

So far we've built a 555 together, her choice, shown her basic logic stuff, explained how the voltage pulses from low to high eg 0 - 5v, it's going to be a slowl process, i can't overload her brain
she complains i'm going too "slow" for her as it is, so to cut down on teaching i used the Arduino for a simple 1000ms/on/1000ms/off flash to control binary counters, which i'll continue to do
i just need to supply a 5v regulated voltage for her now i'll use a 5v DC adapter to keep it safe ,ahhh resistors! i have a bunch of unused resistors she can use, i'll buy her a multi pack.

But it's been a week of small lessons and she keeps coming back for more! 

What should i do teach her about Logic Chips and show her more advanced stuff and let her start from scratch with her own components? or teach her all the things she can do with the components i've just ordered for her?...

Valencia, Spain
Faraday Member
View Profile

Never underestimate them.

The best lesson you can teach is that the only limit is her imagination.

No matter how advanced the gadget she'll still learn something about connecting up LEDs or whatever. She doesn't have to understand every last detail for it to be a good project for her.

(and cross your fingers she doesn't come up with something too difficult for you... smiley  )

No, I don't answer questions sent in private messages (but I do accept thank-you notes...)

The Netherlands
Edison Member
View Profile

Great, a 10 year old girl interested in this stuff !

She told you you're moving too slow, meaning she's really interested, but also wants to see quick results (ofcourse).
As you've got her attention now, i'd say get her the quick result she wants and keep her attention a bit longer.
Then ask her to do some small variations to what she has reached till now.
Exactly the same as you would do here on the forum for new enthousiasts (like myself).
That is where she will learn the most, especially when things don't work out immediatly sometimes.
But then you would need to be able to tell her what went wrong and what to consider to solve it.
Just don't solve it for her leaving her clueless.

Teaching her all she can do with a 555 would be a huge job as it has a ridiculous large number of uses.
But that is not a logic part.
I think it is important for her to know the difference between logic parts and parts like resistors, capacitors quite soon, followed by transistors.
But just keep going taking it step by step.
And have lots of fun togehter doing that.

Have a look at "blink without delay".
Did you connect the grounds ?
Je kunt hier ook in het Nederlands terecht: http://arduino.cc/forum/index.php/board,77.0.html

United Kingdom
Tesla Member
Hofstadter's Law: It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's Law.
View Profile

Buy her the Arduino Cookbook or a similar book, then she can learn at whatever pace she chooses.

Formal verification of safety-critical software, software development, and electronic design and prototyping. See http://www.eschertech.com. Please do not ask for unpaid help via PM, use the forum.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: