Go Down

Topic: Need to reset arduino for i2c to work (Read 661 times) previous topic - next topic

Nick Gammon

My point is you may well write this:

Code: [Select]

while (Wire.requestFrom(12, 1) == 0)
     {}

Wire.requestFrom waits until it has a response (or a NAK) and the length of that response is returned from Wire.requestFrom. So, you may as well test that.

I can't reproduce your results.

Connecting two Unos, if I reset the Master, a moment later the LED flashes, indicating it read from the Slave.

If I reset the Slave, nothing happens (because the Master has already entered loop), unless I hold the Slave in reset, reset the Master, and then release the Slave from reset.

cjdelphi

i'd save time and effort and use softserial why do so many go for i2c/spi over uart?

Nick Gammon

SoftSerial has quite a few limitations because it is bit banged. It's fine if you need to print something on an attached printer, while checking for RFID cards (as I do). But if you need to do a number of things at once, then its limitations become more apparent. They may or may not matter in a particular application.

Both SPI and I2C use the hardware features to output quite fast, and receive incoming data using interrupts (I know SoftSerial uses interrupts too, but once it starts a byte it has to sit in a tight loop).

Your comment about "softserial" ... "over uart" doesn't make much sense on its own, because SoftSerial doesn't use the UART.

With a larger chip like the Mega you could indeed use multiple hardware serial ports, if your application required it.

cjdelphi

I was referring to the kind of communication used, to me recv/send is via 2 wires, eg hardware support pin 0 & 1

Go Up