Go Down

Topic: RN-XV Latency? (Read 380 times) previous topic - next topic

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I recently threw together a simple HTTP remote control sketch that relied on a cheap Ethernet shield I had kicking around (ENC28J60-based.) I never thought to time it but the response times must've been in the sub-200ms range.

The area I want to put my remote in has no convenient ethernet and I figured it'd be better to go with an arduino-controlled wireless shield/module rather than stick it behind a wireless access point. Since it was the cheapest option I went with an RN-XV - https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10822

...let's skip over the part where I swear at pull-up resistors, firmware, and many other things...

All is well and I've got the WiFlyHQ library wired up and handling basic HTTP. However, I'm getting ~0.7sec round trip times...I've poked around a bit and I can't find any real answers.

I'm using an Arduino UNO R3, a SeeedStudio XBee Shield (with a 10k pullup between vcc and din), and the RN-XV I linked above with the latest firmware from RN - 2.50.

It looks like the issue is related to the WiFly not closing client-initiated TCP connections - as near as I can tell it's taking me about ~100ms for my sketch to hand off a final (less than 256 byte) response to the WiFly over serial.

Anyone with experience on this one? Should I just give up, write my own transfer format, and stick a HTTP->that proxy on my desktop?

Go Up

Please enter a valid email to subscribe

Confirm your email address

We need to confirm your email address.
To complete the subscription, please click the link in the email we just sent you.

Thank you for subscribing!

Arduino
via Egeo 16
Torino, 10131
Italy