Pages: [1]   Go Down
Author Topic: RN-XV Latency?  (Read 337 times)
View Profile
 Bigger Bigger  Smaller Smaller  Reset Reset

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I recently threw together a simple HTTP remote control sketch that relied on a cheap Ethernet shield I had kicking around (ENC28J60-based.) I never thought to time it but the response times must've been in the sub-200ms range.

The area I want to put my remote in has no convenient ethernet and I figured it'd be better to go with an arduino-controlled wireless shield/module rather than stick it behind a wireless access point. Since it was the cheapest option I went with an RN-XV - https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10822

...let's skip over the part where I swear at pull-up resistors, firmware, and many other things...

All is well and I've got the WiFlyHQ library wired up and handling basic HTTP. However, I'm getting ~0.7sec round trip times...I've poked around a bit and I can't find any real answers.

I'm using an Arduino UNO R3, a SeeedStudio XBee Shield (with a 10k pullup between vcc and din), and the RN-XV I linked above with the latest firmware from RN - 2.50.

It looks like the issue is related to the WiFly not closing client-initiated TCP connections - as near as I can tell it's taking me about ~100ms for my sketch to hand off a final (less than 256 byte) response to the WiFly over serial.

Anyone with experience on this one? Should I just give up, write my own transfer format, and stick a HTTP->that proxy on my desktop?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Jump to: