Go Down

Topic: Arduino sounds and smoke! (Read 965 times) previous topic - next topic

rujoking

Did you assemble the Maker Shield yourself?  If so you might have bridged a couple of solder pads or put the wrong part in.  I'd check all the joints and parts very carefully just to be sure.

I once nearly burned out my Arduino by sticking a piece of wire between an analog in and a 5V pin with nothing in between.  It only took a second or so for one of the chips to get hot enough to burn my thumb.  I disconnected the thing before I could unleash the Magic Smoke and it still works fine, but I don't know if I'd trust it for anything 'mission critical.'

James C4S

It doesnt look like any part was burnt, but I am to scared to plug it in again

There is something wrong with how you wired your circuit.  Without schematics or actual descriptions using actual sentences (gasp!), there isn't going to be a magic answer.

As rujoking says, look for shorts in your circuit.
Capacitor Expert By Day, Enginerd by night.  ||  Personal Blog: www.baldengineer.com  || Electronics Tutorials for Beginners:  www.addohms.com

stonent

Take the shield off. Still smoke?

Sniff your boards for smokey goodness.

Connect the +5 and gnd from your shield to a power source? Smoke?

i_luv_arduino

i cleaned the board with alchol to clean off the extra flux and it works

cr0sh

i cleaned the board with alchol to clean off the extra flux and it works

Likely, then - you had a short somewhere, and cleaning it removed the short. Here's a tip:

Get yourself a pocket microscope, or one of those USB microscopes off ebay; in a pinch, a jeweller's loupe will work, too. Use that to inspect your work carefully after you finish soldering a circuit (or part of a circuit). You'll be able to easily see cold solder joints, joints that need more solder, and solder bridges (as well as beaded solder; as you solder, the rosin can smoke and pop, throwing small blobs of molten solder around - which is a good reason to wear goggles, btw - but anyhow, those small balls can land and cause bridging). Rework, reflow, or clean up (using a dental pick or similar) those areas that need it, then re-check your work.
I will not respond to Arduino help PM's from random forum users; if you have such a question, start a new topic thread.

Go Up