Go Down

Topic: Forgoing voltage regulator (Read 2 times) previous topic - next topic

bratan

HT1632 Pin 8 says GND above it, that's why I asked.

Oh I see it now! :) Thanks!
Xronos Clock - A talking arduino based alarm clock is now available. Check out xronosclock.com for pictures, source code, schematics, and purchasing info :)

stoopkid

Not sure if it fits your needs but this thing produces virtually no heat and can be dropped in place of a 7805, same size and pinout. And for how cool it is it's not very expensive either.
http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=72R3616

bratan

Not sure if it fits your needs but this thing produces virtually no heat and can be dropped in place of a 7805, same size and pinout. And for how cool it is it's not very expensive either.
http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=72R3616

Yup, I've seen similar one. It's just at $5 a piece it's a bit on the expensive side.
Xronos Clock - A talking arduino based alarm clock is now available. Check out xronosclock.com for pictures, source code, schematics, and purchasing info :)

bratan

Just wanted to post an update.
Lefty's recommended power supplies arrived from China(pretty quick too) and they are fantastic! I was able to mount them directly to the enclosure and just soldered wires to my PCB and DC jack (CrossWinds, thanks again for recommending those, they are awesome too).
A small note about power supplies, while they are great, they a little fragile (contact came off after I re-soldered same wire about 2-3 times) and you must supply at least 6 Volts to get steady 5V output, but I still think they are fantastic for the price! I'll be buying whole lots more! :)

bratan

I bought a bunch recently myself. They have pretty good prices.
I don't know who in the forum identified them as a source.
Great price on MAX7219s also.

After Tayada's DC jacks for a while, I wouldn't recommend these :(  Great price but terrible quality. Every one I used failed quickly, slightest touch to cable and my clock looses power (and I tried several different DC wall adapters)...
I since switched to Switchcraft 722A and they are amazing! Plug goes in smooth and stays in, stays connected but also easy to remove. Looks like they are silver plated too. Expensive tho ($2.64 for 10 on DigiKey), but you definitely get what you pay for :)  If I could find these for a $1 I'd bee extremely happy!

Go Up