Go Down

Topic: monitoring position via GPS (Read 485 times) previous topic - next topic

ajd62

Another potential prototype project.  I want to measure the real-time position and tracking of an athlete during training.  This could be done via GPS or RFID.  The athlete will be with a restricted areas of 100x60m and the facility has the ability to erect antenna etc to pick up signal.  The data coudl be fed real-time to laptop or downloaded from on board memory device after the session

As I am relatively new to electronics is this feasible?

AWOL

For that kind of restricted area, you may want to google "differential GPS".
RFID is pretty much a non-starter, unless you can put antennae under the arena.
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

wizdum

Might you be able to get better accuracy from some sort of sensor grid or radar system? Maybe use a bunch of cheap sonar or IR distance sensors?

I have absolutely no idea how to accomplish this, but i figured I'd toss an idea out.
"Anyone who isn't confused really doesn't understand the situation."

Electronic props for Airsoft, paintball, and laser tag -> www.nightscapetech.com

PaulS

The athlete will be with a restricted areas of 100x60m

With a clear view of the sky, or not? Details matter.

I want to measure the real-time position and tracking of an athlete during training.

To what level of accuracy? GPS is typically +/- 10 meters. In a 100 x 60 meter arena, +/- 10 meters doesn't seem like great accuracy. On the highway, +/- 10 meters, when you are 10 km from your destination, is great accuracy.

PeterH

I want to measure the real-time position and tracking of an athlete during training.

This will certainly involve the athlete carrying/wearing some sort of transponder/sensor. It seems to me that it would almost certainly need to be powered, which implies some batteries too. Any restrictions on size/weight of the device?
I only provide help via the forum - please do not contact me for private consultancy.

AWOL

How about something like Vicon motion capture?
"Pete, it's a fool looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart." Ulysses Everett McGill.
Do not send technical questions via personal messaging - they will be ignored.

Go Up