Go Down

Topic: energy efficend UPS based on arduino? (Read 3 times) previous topic - next topic

Constantin

I would focus on the end power needed. In the case of a server, you're typically looking at 12VDC for the HDD's and 5VDC for the board. PicoUPS offers all sorts of pre-confectioned power supplies that are DC-DC solutions with very high efficiencies. Makes much more sense to go directly DC-DC with a switch mode than the AC intermediary steps. What's great about the PicoUPS products is that they're based on ITX and ATX power supplies that plug directly into existing motherboards.

mclien

13W for 750W is only 1.73%.

Not exactly.
First 750VA !=750W (about 680W IIRC)
Second: True if full load.
Another perspective to look at it: 12W input, zero W output (Battery filly charged, no devices on output side, switched OFF!), that would That's not definable (infinitive).

The diffrence then the switched off, compared to switched on (100% Battery, no devices) is 1.5 W which ist incedibly goog for holding the chagre

mclien

I would focus on the end power needed. In the case of a server, you're typically looking at 12VDC for the HDD's and 5VDC for the board. PicoUPS .....that plug directly into existing motherboards.

THAT'S really one thing I compleetly missed to think about. Thanks a lot! Just one question: aren't there +12V and -12V for some boards (aka a diffrence of 24V)?
But I like the idea a lot. Use a good PSU as primary converter (which has the additional capability to smoothen the Inputpower) and work with PicoPSU the rest of the way. Only concern to me is the speed of switching to the batteries in case of powerloss. Using some big capacitors for the switching delay, perhaps?

Constantin

There is no need for the cap you mention - PicoUPS offer a 1.2A charger / switchover board at the low end and higher capacity boards as well to take care of the UPS part. Instead of a lossy diode or other approaches, they use MOSFETs that act very quickly. Read up on the info they have on the site, I was impressed.

The PicoUPS power supplies have wide DC input ranges and plug directly into a standard motherboard plug. So, I am not sure what you need other than to figure out the peak loads, the required components and a credit card...  :)

mclien

Oh, I just didn't read carefully enought:
PicoUPS!=PicoPSU

Maybe because I allready knew the PicoPSUs for some time and tought I just forgrt them. But logically someone had take that "shortcut" for a better UPS allready. I will look deeper in that next year, which is only less than 1.5 hours for me ;-)

Go Up